Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trouble with 4' 3-T8 fluorescent light fixture

Dear Forum,

I need help with a kitchen fluorescent light (see
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100013818
). After switching it on for 3-4 minutes, two of the tubes on the
extremities go off while the middle tube remains on. Replaced tubes
but to no avail. Would this be a ballast issue? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/12/2007 5:25 PM said the following:
Dear Forum,

I need help with a kitchen fluorescent light (see
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100013818
). After switching it on for 3-4 minutes, two of the tubes on the
extremities go off while the middle tube remains on. Replaced tubes
but to no avail. Would this be a ballast issue? Thanks.

Replaced all 3, or just the outside bulbs?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?pro...
). After switching it on for 3-4 minutes, two of the tubes on the
extremities go off while the middle tube remains on. Replaced tubes
but to no avail. Would this be a ballast issue? Thanks.

Replaced all 3, or just the outside bulbs?

I replaced only the 2 tubes but I did swap them around with no
luck ....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 12, 7:09 pm, wrote:

snip

I replaced only the 2 tubes but I did swap them around with no
luck ....

If the problem didn't move with the lamp movement, then the wiring/
connections/ lampholders are the cause. Odds are the lamp sockets
themselves are tired, corroded, poor contact. Replacements are readily
available and easy to swap out. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Could also be the ballast. Some of the Home Depot T8 fixtures I've installed
use an electronic ballast which independently drives the T8 tubes. I've had
several fail in such a way that one or more tubes stop working while other
bulbs in the same fixture continue to work fine. Some of the new "programmed
rapid start" electronic ballasts use separate starting circuits which are
independent.

I've also replaced a lot of cheap 2 lamp T8 electronic ballasts where one
tube would still start but the other would not/ This is actually a common
failure mode for the lowest cost Home Depot T8 fixtures I've installed.

As Joe also points out, the connections and lampholders are suspect, and
Home Depot fixtures have really crummy lampholders on their lowest cost
fixtures.

Smarty

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 12, 7:09 pm, wrote:

snip

I replaced only the 2 tubes but I did swap them around with no
luck ....

If the problem didn't move with the lamp movement, then the wiring/
connections/ lampholders are the cause. Odds are the lamp sockets
themselves are tired, corroded, poor contact. Replacements are readily
available and easy to swap out. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you all for your valuable input.