Posted to alt.home.repair

Default contract responsiblity question

I hired a contractor to put in a cathederal ceiling in my house. He
hired a structural engineer, pulled the permit, removed the old
ceiling and put the new cieling up to the ridge line of my roof After
it was done the inspector said that the LVL beam that was put up is
blocking the ridge vent now and roof venting is needed.

When I called the contractor he tells me that since my contract with
him was just for the framing he is not responsible for putting in the
new ventilation.

My question is since the venting was fine before the cathederal was
put in and he pulled the permit shouldn't he be responsible for fixing
the problem identified by the building inspector? btw this is
Massachusetts if it matters.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike McCarthy