DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   how to disable door lock (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/217235-how-disable-door-lock.html)

[email protected] October 11th 07 08:50 PM

how to disable door lock

How do I prevent the bathroom door lock from being "accidentally"
locked from the inside?

It is a Weslock with a cylindrical button on the inside next to the
doorknob. A previous owner drilled a quarter inch hole on the outside
opposite the button and I can see the butt end of the button through
the hole. From the inside I can turn the button a half turn and it can
easily be wiggled a lot, so is quite loose. I cannot get it to lock
when I try, but sometimes when exiting and closing the door behind me
I later find I cannot turn the doorknob and am effectively locked out.
I think the think is broken because I cannot get it to lock, but that
is OK as long as I can permanently keep it from "mysteriously"
locking. Obviously, I can just put a new one in, but if there is an
easy way to disable the locking mechanism that would be preferred.

Bill

jerryl October 11th 07 10:47 PM

how to disable door lock

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

With a Philips screwdriver, remove the two screw (one on either side of the
knob).
Slide the knobs apart.
On the edge side of the door, remove the two screws and remove the latch
assembly.
Take all the parts you disassembled and toss in the garbage.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and for a few bucks buy a new bathroom door knob
assembly.

Malcolm Hoar October 11th 07 11:47 PM

how to disable door lock

In article , Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:

[...]

If you're really too cheap to spend a few bucks for a new lockset, just
put three layers of duct tape over the hole in the strike plate.

For a more professional look...

you could fill the hole in the strike plate with Bondo.

Oops, typo. Shoulda read:

four layers of duct tape...

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Jeff Wisnia October 11th 07 11:49 PM

how to disable door lock

wrote:

[...]

(Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer....)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

KJonsen October 13th 07 06:10 AM

how to disable door lock

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:49:17 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

If you're really too cheap to spend a few bucks for a new lockset, just
put three layers of duct tape over the hole in the strike plate.

For a more professional look you could fill the hole in the strike plate
with Bondo.

Nah, three layers of duct tape costs too much. One piece over the
latch on the door should work.

The Bondo approach works. A previous owner used it on my bathroom
doorway. Looks luckin fuvely.

Pop` October 13th 07 06:55 PM

how to disable door lock

wrote:

If you're really too cheap to spend a few bucks for a new lockset,
just put three layers of duct tape over the hole in the strike plate.

For a more professional look you could fill the hole in the strike
plate with Bondo.

Nah, three layers of duct tape costs too much. One piece over the
latch on the door should work.

The Bondo approach works. A previous owner used it on my bathroom
doorway. Looks luckin fuvely.

Cripes. Disassemble it, remove the bar that locks it, and forget it.

No Name October 14th 07 01:29 PM

how to disable door lock

the bathroom door lock knob on the door exterior has a small whole that
allows a stiff rod to be inserted into.pushing in on the rod will release
the lock.this is a safety feature.
oups.com...

Harry K October 14th 07 05:01 PM

how to disable door lock

wrote:

[...]

But if he's too cheap to buy duct tape?

Harry K

Malcolm Hoar October 15th 07 12:27 AM

how to disable door lock

In article .com, Harry K wrote:
If you're really too cheap to spend a few bucks for a new lockset, just
put three layers of duct tape over the hole in the strike plate.

For a more professional look...

you could fill the hole in the strike plate with Bondo.

Oops, typo. Shoulda read:

four layers of duct tape...

But if he's too cheap to buy duct tape?

Does he own a hammer?

Handy mandy January 8th 17 06:44 AM

how to disable door lock

replying to Jeff Wisnia, Handy mandy wrote:
No Jeff. I believe the expression is " There are no stupid questions, only
stupid answers."

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-257410-.htm

Gordon Shumway January 8th 17 08:03 PM

how to disable door lock

On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 05:44:04 GMT, Handy mandy m wrote:

replying to Jeff Wisnia, Handy mandy wrote:
No Jeff. I believe the expression is " There are no stupid questions, only
stupid answers."

Now your answer was definitely stupid, Mandy! Why did you wait nearly a decade to come up with that lame reply?

Joe January 20th 18 05:44 AM

how to disable door lock

replying to billsahiker, Joe wrote:
Unscrew the lock and remove the spindal that connects the lock from one side
to the other. This will disable the lock permantely.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-257410-.htm

Donald Kelly July 9th 18 03:14 AM

how to disable door lock

replying to billsahiker, Donald Kelly wrote:
Yes!!, its 11years late but I sought the answer to the same puzzle,
Remove doorknob assembly, remove small screws holding the push button in
place. The locking bar will slide out along with springs,.replace the
pushbutton back into where you removed it. Install knob assembly to door.
Thank you!!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-257410-.htm

me[_24_] August 8th 19 11:44 PM

how to disable door lock

replying to Jeff Wisnia, me wrote:
It isn't cheap to make adjustments. You're thinking is what is cheap Jeff

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-257410-.htm

me[_24_] August 8th 19 11:44 PM

how to disable door lock

replying to Harry K, me wrote:
you're no help

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-257410-.htm

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] August 9th 19 02:38 AM

how to disable door lock

On 8/8/2019 5:44 PM, me wrote:
replying to Harry K, me wrote:
you're no help

Nor are you replying to a 12 year old thread. Pay attention.

Will.I.Am March 28th 21 08:01 PM

how to disable door lock

Put a screw into the hole where the lock bar goes into the strike plate and it won't be able to be locked.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-257410-.htm