Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outlet box on outside of house

I plan to install a new circuit for some landscape lighting and want
to have a single outlet mounted to the side of my brick house. My
plan is to surface mount a weather-proof outlet box to the brick. I
can drill a hole in the wall and have the wire exit the house straight
into the outlet box. Is this the best way to get an outlet out there?

My other question is, since the wire is going directly from the
breaker box through the wall and straight into the outdoor outlet box,
do I need to use any type of conduit?

The circuit with be 20A with 12GA Type TW wire and have a single GFCI
outlet.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

I should also clairfy that my plan would be for the wire to go right
into the back of the outlet box rather than the bottom (so no wire
would get exposure to sun etc.) . I have not actually been to HD yet
to see what they have so I don't know if something like that is even
available....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, here it looks like they are just using NM cable?

http://www.creativehomeowner.com/ind...ectid=chele189

The pictures show the basic idea as to what I'd like to do (although
the exterior of my house is brick).

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.creativehomeowner.com/ind...&projectid=che...

The pictures show the basic idea as to what I'd like to do (although
the exterior of my house is brick).

Thanks,
Kevin

And in North America (most jurisdictions these days) it should be a
GFI to meet code and insurance requirements.
Another suggestion: make sure the mounting box has built in cable
clamps (or equivalent) even though the cable will go straight in
through the wall it should, according to code, be secured?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

NM cable straight through into the back of an FS type box as shown is fine.
Be sure to use a connector, a ground fault outlet, and current NEC no longer
permits the weather proof cover as shown , but instead a "while in use" type
cover is required

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I plan to install a new circuit for some landscape lighting and want
to have a single outlet mounted to the side of my brick house. My
plan is to surface mount a weather-proof outlet box to the brick. I
can drill a hole in the wall and have the wire exit the house straight
into the outlet box. Is this the best way to get an outlet out there?

My other question is, since the wire is going directly from the
breaker box through the wall and straight into the outdoor outlet box,
do I need to use any type of conduit?

The circuit with be 20A with 12GA Type TW wire and have a single GFCI
outlet.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm suprised than NM cable is OK. Are you 100% sure? I definitely
don't mind as I have a bunch of 12GA NM left over from my basement...

Thanks for any further explanation you can provide...

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It's fine, you're not in a wet location. Another thing the code does require
is to seal the threaded plugs with compound. If you don't do it, water just
leaks right through them

" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm suprised than NM cable is OK. Are you 100% sure? I definitely
don't mind as I have a bunch of 12GA NM left over from my basement...

Thanks for any further explanation you can provide...

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Damn is it hard to find a decent outdoor surface mount 'in-use' outlet
box !

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 12:41 pm, " wrote:
Damn is it hard to find a decent outdoor surface mount 'in-use' outlet
box !

They're code around here and have been for a while now. The big box
stores only started carrying them recently. Try _any_ real electrical
supply house - they'll have them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:41:42 -0000, "
wrote:

Damn is it hard to find a decent outdoor surface mount 'in-use' outlet
box !

Ebay- I bought a dozen for what my local lowes wanted for 4.
[including shipping]

I even bought a couple double box covers that I've not seen in the
big-box stores.

Jim