Posted to alt.home.repair

Default quick-connect water fittings / how to square cut tube

I question whether these things will work, but...

My under counter water filter system has quick connect fittings for
the 3/8" tube. They're leaking, and the support line says that they
just must not be cut square.
37 cuts later....

Any suggestion on ensuring a square cut?! I don't understand how these
can form water-tight seals, but they say they do. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 6:31 pm, albee wrote:
I question whether these things will work, but...

My under counter water filter system has quick connect fittings for
the 3/8" tube. They're leaking, and the support line says that they
just must not be cut square.
37 cuts later....

Any suggestion on ensuring a square cut?! I don't understand how these
can form water-tight seals, but they say they do. Thanks.

I never liked those quick connect fittings that come with the filter.
Buy a couple of the steel braided hoses. They come in various sizes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 16:52:23 -0700, Mikepier
wrote:

On Oct 10, 6:31 pm, albee wrote:
I question whether these things will work, but...

My under counter water filter system has quick connect fittings for
the 3/8" tube. They're leaking, and the support line says that they
just must not be cut square.
37 cuts later....

Any suggestion on ensuring a square cut?! I don't understand how these
can form water-tight seals, but they say they do. Thanks.

I never liked those quick connect fittings that come with the filter.
Buy a couple of the steel braided hoses. They come in various sizes.

Could you explain how I hook them up to the filter? The problem is at
the connector on the filter.
I called HD, and they didn't know of a tool to make a precision cut
(save for a circular saw?!) I pointed out I needed a razor-type cut in
plastic hose, but she maintained that with the right blade you could
do it. no matter, as I don't have one... Any other thoughts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Oct 10, 6:31 pm, albee wrote:
[...]

Well, in reading the instructions online for some other product that
uses quick connects, it mentioned pushing them in harder. That helped,
and it even appeared that it was fixed, but god-forbid there should be
any torque on the very thick plastic hoses! As soon as I move the
filters it gushes. Baffles me how it maintains a seal so well when in
a perfect positiion even. But regardless, still not something I'm
comfortable leaving under a sink, not knowing if it's leaking or not.
Who designed this ****?! They say the weakness in compression fittings
is movement... did they think this was an improvement?
And of course I bought this thing awhile ago and wouldn't be able to
return it now. But then, they're all probably using these. argghhh...

Or what am I missing?!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 10, 5:31 pm, albee wrote:
I question whether these things will work, but...

My under counter water filter system has quick connect fittings for
the 3/8" tube. They're leaking, and the support line says that they
just must not be cut square.
37 cuts later....

Any suggestion on ensuring a square cut?! I don't understand how these
can form water-tight seals, but they say they do. Thanks.

Have you tried a small tubing cutter? The ones with a a small cutter
wheel that is fed into the tubing by means of a screw? Pretty common
item at most hardware stores and tey always cut square. Some lube is
helpful inserting into the fitting, even a dab of water. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
albee wrote:

I question whether these things will work, but...

My under counter water filter system has quick connect fittings for
the 3/8" tube. They're leaking, and the support line says that they
just must not be cut square.
37 cuts later....

Any suggestion on ensuring a square cut?! I don't understand how these
can form water-tight seals, but they say they do. Thanks.

Well, they don't have to be all that damn perfect. Are you familiar with
how they work? You have to push the tubing in fairly forcefully to get
it to lock in. (To release, you pull the little ring back towards the
end of the fitting while pulling the tubing out.)