Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crown molding on vaulted ceilings

What do ya think of crown molding along a slanted vaulted ceiling?
My wife suggested it might look good, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the
lower intersection where it meets the regular horizontal crown molding.

We have a 14' vaulted ceiling running about 28' front to back and looking for
ideas to dress it up with a fancier look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:48:44 -0400, Steven Andrade
wrote:

What do ya think of crown molding along a slanted vaulted ceiling?
My wife suggested it might look good, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the
lower intersection where it meets the regular horizontal crown molding.

We have a 14' vaulted ceiling running about 28' front to back and looking for
ideas to dress it up with a fancier look.

Visit the local borg and look at a DIY book _Crown Molding & Trim.
Install It Like a PRO_

http://www.compoundmiter.com/index.html

Very helpful book for a DIY person.

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

What do ya think of crown molding along a slanted vaulted ceiling?
My wife suggested it might look good, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the
lower intersection where it meets the regular horizontal crown molding.

We have a 14' vaulted ceiling running about 28' front to back and looking for
ideas to dress it up with a fancier look.

Visit the local borg and look at a DIY book _Crown Molding & Trim.
Install It Like a PRO_

http://www.compoundmiter.com/index.html

Very helpful book for a DIY person.

There was also a very nice (and competent) article in a very recent Fine
Homebuilding dealing with large-scale mouldings and such trickery...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What do ya think of crown molding along a slanted vaulted ceiling?
My wife suggested it might look good, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the
lower intersection where it meets the regular horizontal crown molding.

We have a 14' vaulted ceiling running about 28' front to back and looking for
ideas to dress it up with a fancier look.

Visit the local borg and look at a DIY book _Crown Molding & Trim.
Install It Like a PRO_

http://www.compoundmiter.com/index.html

Very helpful book for a DIY person.

BTW, a sample vaulted crown...

http://www.compoundmiter.com/images/cath4.jpg

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What do ya think of crown molding along a slanted vaulted ceiling?
My wife suggested it might look good, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the
lower intersection where it meets the regular horizontal crown molding.

We have a 14' vaulted ceiling running about 28' front to back and looking for
ideas to dress it up with a fancier look.

Adding crown molding should improve the overall look of most homes.
Intersections need to be done properly to look right, and an interior
decorator should be able to tell you the details. Unlike base
moldings, crown moldings are always there for everyone to see so these
must be done meticulously. Coping skills are not all that difficult
to do as they look, once you've done a few.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 9, 11:48 am, Steven Andrade wrote:
What do ya think of crown molding along a slanted vaulted ceiling?
My wife suggested it might look good, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the
lower intersection where it meets the regular horizontal crown molding.

We have a 14' vaulted ceiling running about 28' front to back and looking for
ideas to dress it up with a fancier look.

Pick out a crown molding you like with the help of a knowledgeable
decorator. Hire good finish carpenter and helper and have the molding
installed. With your 14' loft and 28' run, you have a two man job. If
you choose to do it yourself you will need scaffolding, a decent
sliding compound miter saw like the Makita 1013, an air compressor, a
finish air nailer, and at least twice the lineal footage of molding
you think you wll need because of the bassackwards cuts you will make.
A pro will know how to make all the neat little turns and transitions
that will result in a classy job. The DIY books will show some
examples, but with limited experience it can be frustrating.
Before you embark on a major crown molding project in your living
space (remember SWMBO will see it very day) try smething smaller like
a basement playroom. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

What do ya think of crown molding along a slanted vaulted ceiling?
My wife suggested it might look good, but I'm having a hard time
visualizing the lower intersection where it meets the regular
horizontal crown molding.

We have a 14' vaulted ceiling running about 28' front to back and
looking for ideas to dress it up with a fancier look.

Visit the local borg and look at a DIY book _Crown Molding & Trim.
Install It Like a PRO_

http://www.compoundmiter.com/index.html

Very helpful book for a DIY person.

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

I've seen that book while gandering around. Looked interesting. Never
installed crown molding. Thought I saw an article someplace that said
crown molding over a certain width requires a 12" compound miter saw or
it makes it a lot more difficult.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 12:48 pm, Steven Andrade wrote:
What do ya think of crown molding along a slanted vaulted ceiling?
My wife suggested it might look good, but I'm having a hard time visualizing the
lower intersection where it meets the regular horizontal crown molding.

We have a 14' vaulted ceiling running about 28' front to back and looking for
ideas to dress it up with a fancier look.

I have vaulted ceilings with molding. It was built this way, and it
looks fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the input.

I'm fine with flat molding but am totally unable to cut crown without wasting 2x
as much as I end up with on the wall.

Due to the height, and lack of skills, I'll hire a guy with a scaffold.

Any more thoughts on what if anything to do along the apex of the ceiling?
Last house I had we screwed a 2x6 front to back along the apex, then nailed on
rough sawn cedar for a boxed beam look. This time we want something more
contemporary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:17:59 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

Thought I saw an article someplace that said
crown molding over a certain width requires a 12" compound miter saw or
it makes it a lot more difficult.

You saw it gandering in the book! :-)

The tool list is amendable....

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 7:37 am, Steven Andrade wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I'm fine with flat molding but am totally unable to cut crown without wasting 2x
as much as I end up with on the wall.

Due to the height, and lack of skills, I'll hire a guy with a scaffold.

Any more thoughts on what if anything to do along the apex of the ceiling?
Last house I had we screwed a 2x6 front to back along the apex, then nailed on
rough sawn cedar for a boxed beam look. This time we want something more
contemporary.

I don't mean to sound ignorant here, but I don't understand what you
mean by apex. Can you post a picture somewhere?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:55:22 -0700, USA1st
wrote:

On Oct 10, 7:37 am, Steven Andrade wrote:
Thanks for the input.

I'm fine with flat molding but am totally unable to cut crown without wasting 2x
as much as I end up with on the wall.

Due to the height, and lack of skills, I'll hire a guy with a scaffold.

Any more thoughts on what if anything to do along the apex of the ceiling?
Last house I had we screwed a 2x6 front to back along the apex, then nailed on
rough sawn cedar for a boxed beam look. This time we want something more
contemporary.

I don't mean to sound ignorant here, but I don't understand what you
mean by apex. Can you post a picture somewhere?

Okay. We are all cone-heads, so the pointy tip is the apex.

Unless I'm wrong.

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/10/2007 10:55 PM USA1st said the following:
On Oct 10, 7:37 am, Steven Andrade wrote:

Thanks for the input.

I'm fine with flat molding but am totally unable to cut crown without wasting 2x
as much as I end up with on the wall.

Due to the height, and lack of skills, I'll hire a guy with a scaffold.

Any more thoughts on what if anything to do along the apex of the ceiling?
Last house I had we screwed a 2x6 front to back along the apex, then nailed on
rough sawn cedar for a boxed beam look. This time we want something more
contemporary.

I don't mean to sound ignorant here, but I don't understand what you
mean by apex. Can you post a picture somewhere?

Apex = the highest point in a triangle, pyramid, or cone.
In this case, where the underside of the rafter beams meet at the ridge.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:k61rg39dg0o2d90saff0stfors17ib7va3@
4ax.com:

wrote:

Thought I saw an article someplace that said
crown molding over a certain width requires a 12" compound miter saw or
it makes it a lot more difficult.

You saw it gandering in the book! :-)

The tool list is amendable....

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Then the moral of the story is:

It pays to gander.

- or -

Buy it ya cheap f*. It's worth it.

- or -

All of the above.

Crown molding Kenny Goss Home Repair 2 December 1st 06 04:23 PM
Crown Molding ladybug Home Repair 1 September 29th 06 05:55 AM
need help with molding for ceilings resample Woodworking 2 January 25th 06 02:41 AM
Crown Molding ?? EvoDawg Woodworking 10 June 6th 05 12:07 AM
crown molding??? EvoDawg Home Repair 3 June 5th 05 07:24 AM