Posted to alt.home.repair

Default screen porch standing water

hi, bought a new house here in FL, I have a long screen porch with
aluminum around the bottom, about 1 inch..
when it really rains I end up with a lot of standing water in one
corner.. I am thinking of drilling 2 holes, one on each side of corner
to drain.. any one know a better way??
thanks
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 13:45, "
wrote:
hi, bought a new house here in FL, I have a long screen porch with
aluminum around the bottom, about 1 inch..
when it really rains I end up with a lot of standing water in one
corner.. I am thinking of drilling 2 holes, one on each side of corner
to drain.. any one know a better way??
thanks

What is the floor of the porch made of? If it's non treated wood,
here's my concern:

If you drill a hole, you'll be exposing the unfinished interior of the
wood to the moisture as it drains through. You might end up with rot
fairly soon.

What's a lot of standing water? Is the amount of water going to be a
problem under the porch?

Mr. Obvious says: The optimum solution would be to prevent the water
from entering the porch in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 1:58 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 5 Oct, 13:45, "
wrote:

hi, bought a new house here in FL, I have a long screen porch with
aluminum around the bottom, about 1 inch..
when it really rains I end up with a lot of standing water in one
corner.. I am thinking of drilling 2 holes, one on each side of corner
to drain.. any one know a better way??
thanks

What is the floor of the porch made of? If it's non treated wood,
here's my concern:

If you drill a hole, you'll be exposing the unfinished interior of the
wood to the moisture as it drains through. You might end up with rot
fairly soon.

What's a lot of standing water? Is the amount of water going to be a
problem under the porch?

Mr. Obvious says: The optimum solution would be to prevent the water
from entering the porch in the first place.

thanks, it is a ground floor, poolside porch, with tile floor, and
alumiun around as frame... and after the last few days of heavy rain,
it was as deep as the bottom soport, about an inch, and an area 4
squair tiles... I know water will get in, but it cant be good to have
standing water for days on grout and stuff....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

standing water for days on grout and stuff....- Hide quoted text -

I'd be even more concerned about drilling through the tile, exposing
the adhesive and subfloor to moisture. It might be possible to drill a
hole large enough for a drain of some type, complete with pipe, so
that the water never hits the subfloor. You'd need to seal around the
top of the drain so the water only went into it, not under it, but it
would be doable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 2:33 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

wrote:

[...]

would be doable.- Hide quoted text -

I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the
aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not
in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..- Hide quoted text -

I can't see it from here, so I can't comment on your proposed
solution. Perhaps a picture or 2 might help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:38:05 -0700, "
wrote:

I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the
aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not
in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

What I hear you say is that the tile went in after the enclosure. The
frame rest/fastened on the concrete pad. You need two weep holes at
the low end; to drain water. You can drill two holes, imo.

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the
aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not
in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

What I hear you say is that the tile went in after the enclosure. The
frame rest/fastened on the concrete pad. You need two weep holes at
the low end; to drain water. You can drill two holes, imo.

--
Oren

"I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

dont know what weep holes are, but there are no holes in it plugged, i
am thinking of doing what oren sez..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I guess I was not clear, I am thinking of drilling 2 holes in the
aluminum bottom support rail, on both sides of the corner post.. not
in the tile, that should give the water a lower place to drain to..

What I hear you say is that the tile went in after the enclosure. The
frame rest/fastened on the concrete pad. You need two weep holes at
the low end; to drain water. You can drill two holes, imo.

dont know what weep holes are, but there are no holes in it plugged, i
am thinking of doing what oren sez..

A weep hole; like a drain, similar to tear duct sp in the eye.

Drill from the inside, just at or above tile level - towards the
outside at a 45* down angle.

I "sez" what I sez and I'll sez it again.

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DerbyDad03, MARVIN Huber wrote:
teamarrows wrote:

On 5 Oct, 13:45, "
What is the floor of the porch made of? If it's non treated wood,
here's my concern:
If you drill a hole, you'll be exposing the unfinished interior of the
wood to the moisture as it drains through. You might end up with rot
fairly soon.
What's a lot of standing water? Is the amount of water going to be a
problem under the porch?
Mr. Obvious says: The optimum solution would be to prevent the water
from entering the porch in the first place.

Screen houses in florida have screen roofs, sides...it's all screen and
normally
on a concrete slab. In theory, all one can do is drill weep holes either
through the very bottom edge
of the aluminum or the concrete next to it. I tried drilling through the
concrete....flowers grew up through
them. Best to bend the bottom edge of aluminum up a tad or drill holes
through the aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 12:44:04 PM UTC-5, MARVIN Huber wrote:
replying to DerbyDad03, MARVIN Huber wrote:

On 5 Oct, 13:45, "

.

--

The guy lost his house 4 years ago when a lightning strike set the house on fire and it burned down. Florida has a lot of lightning and back in 2011 there was a lot of lightning activity. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Flash Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 1:19:44 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 12:44:04 PM UTC-5, MARVIN Huber wrote:

Screen houses in florida have screen roofs, sides...it's all screen and
normally
on a concrete slab. In theory, all one can do is drill weep holes either
through the very bottom edge
of the aluminum or the concrete next to it. I tried drilling through the
concrete....flowers grew up through
them. Best to bend the bottom edge of aluminum up a tad or drill holes
through the aluminum.

The guy lost his house 4 years ago when a lightning strike set the house on fire and it burned down. Florida has a lot of lightning and back in 2011 there was a lot of lightning activity. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Flash Monster

Don't you love it when someone jumps into an 8 year old post
and starts giving advice for solving a dead old problem? I'm
sure ol' Jack has been scouring this group ever since hoping
someone like Marvin comes along with a solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:44:01 +0000, MARVIN Huber
wrote:

replying to DerbyDad03, MARVIN Huber wrote:
teamarrows wrote:

On 5 Oct, 1345, "

I didn't know anyone had Usenet in 1345. Was this in the new world or
England? I presume southern England, since it says bellsouth. Now
that's a station on the Liverpool line, but I don't think they had
trains then.

What is the floor of the porch made of? If it's non treated wood,
here's my concern:

Most porches are made of stone. I don't know how you will drill through
one. Best to have your serfs build you another one.

If you drill a hole, you'll be exposing the unfinished interior of the
wood to the moisture as it drains through. You might end up with rot
fairly soon.
What's a lot of standing water? Is the amount of water going to be a
problem under the porch?
Mr. Obvious says: The optimum solution would be to prevent the water
from entering the porch in the first place.

Screen houses in florida have screen roofs, sides...it's all screen and
normally
on a concrete slab. In theory, all one can do is drill weep holes either
through the very bottom edge
of the aluminum or the concrete next to it. I tried drilling through the
concrete....flowers grew up through
them. Best to bend the bottom edge of aluminum up a tad or drill holes
through the aluminum.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 2:47:38 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

Oh come on, I'm never mean to them because I've also posted an answer to an old post without first checking the date of the original post. Me and a few other folks will tease each other and anyone who isn't paying attention to the dates.
I'm away from home and my big Windows machines with real newsreader software at this time and I'm stuck using Chromie, my cute little Chromebook and the only way I can access Usenet is via Google Groups. For some reason or other, very old posts show up in Google Groups and are responded to by us hapless Chrome users and Google Groupies. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Google Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 3:24:38 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

I wasn't mean, just these out of the blue posters show up to
answer a years old post and never to be seen again.

Chrome or any device accessing these groups through Google
will show the original post with original date and all the
subsequent posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 3:37:04 PM UTC-5, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

I know and that's the problem, I can't filter or block anything. Most people tell me that I have no filter. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Unhinged Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jackfaulds, BBear wrote:
http://www.poolcageplus.com/lanaidrain.html
check the video out here, cutting holes like these others suggest will allow
bugs in!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-255539-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jackfaulds, Neal Hilliard wrote:
Yes, you can drill through the aluminum to drain the water. It's aluminum it
want rust or hurt it on the inside. Only drawback is bugs and reptiles now
have a path into your lanai. If you take a piece of screen and get some good
water resistant adhesive and cut a piece an inch larger than your hole on the
3 sides and stick it on. Either way coversed or not the holes get clogged
screened or not and will need to be cleaned out with a water hose every so
often. But with the screen at leadt no bugs, snakes, or lizards can get in.
I'd drill at least a 1/2" hole as low as you can get it then take a chisel and
split the lower piece if one remains. Take a punch aND tap the 2 pieces inward
on the inside and on the out side use the chisel to cut them off and file the
edges if your worried about sharp edges. I would screen both holes if it where
me. Hope this helps.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-255539-.htm