DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Radiator antifreeze and mold (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/216390-radiator-antifreeze-mold.html)

Mike Dobony October 3rd 07 01:19 PM

Radiator antifreeze and mold

Someone just told me that many rehabbers use automotive antifreeze to kill
mold, mildew, stop degeneration of rotting wood, etc. Can anybody confirm
this? I can't find anything about it on the web.

Mike D.

[email protected] October 3rd 07 02:22 PM

Radiator antifreeze and mold

never heard that. bleach is used alot.

CraigT October 3rd 07 05:33 PM

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Someone just told me that many rehabbers use automotive antifreeze to kill
mold, mildew, stop degeneration of rotting wood, etc. Can anybody confirm
this? I can't find anything about it on the web.

Mike D.

I also don't know anything about this, but indoors I like
http://www.concrobium.com/US/home.html and outdoors
http://www.oxibrands.com/index.php?o...ask=view&id=14.

dpb October 3rd 07 05:48 PM

Mike Dobony wrote:
Someone just told me that many rehabbers use automotive antifreeze to kill
mold, mildew, stop degeneration of rotting wood, etc. Can anybody confirm
this? I can't find anything about it on the web.

I think that someone is full of baloney. Ethylene glycol is water
soluble (obviously) which pretty much prevents it being of great value
as a wood preservative, it isn't particularly toxic other than by
ingestion so suspect its use as a fungicide would be of minimal
effectiveness as well (although that's an opinion not the result of any
known research). Add to the questionable effectiveness as compared to
products designed for the purpose the sticky residue it leaves and the
ingestion hazard to pets, etc., can't see why anyone would go that route
over solution-specific products. It isn't all that cheap anymore, either...

I suspect the primary reason you can't find it on the web is because it
ain't so...

Bob F October 3rd 07 05:52 PM

Radiator antifreeze and mold

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
Someone just told me that many rehabbers use automotive antifreeze to kill
mold, mildew, stop degeneration of rotting wood, etc. Can anybody confirm
this? I can't find anything about it on the web.

Glycol mixed with borax is better.
http://www.acbs-bslol.com/Gadgets/D97WoodRot.htm

Bob

franz frippl October 3rd 07 06:53 PM

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 07:19:09 -0500, Mike Dobony wrote:

Someone just told me that many rehabbers use automotive antifreeze to kill
mold, mildew, stop degeneration of rotting wood, etc. Can anybody confirm
this? I can't find anything about it on the web.

Mike D.

Doesn't seem too healthy of a tip.