DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Routing ABS (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/216350-routing-abs.html)

Bill Stock October 3rd 07 01:48 AM

Routing ABS

I want to cut a 3/4" slot in an ABS end cap, but I was concerned that it
might shatter. Second problem is how to hold it straight while cutting the
slot. A dado is another option if that would work better.

Ideas?

Speedy Jim October 3rd 07 02:27 AM

Routing ABS

Bill Stock wrote:
I want to cut a 3/4" slot in an ABS end cap, but I was concerned that it
might shatter. Second problem is how to hold it straight while cutting the
slot. A dado is another option if that would work better.

Ideas?

Stick the cap on a length of pipe to hold it.
Hold in a vise or similar.
Then make a couple of cuts by hand with a hacksaw
or even a wood saw.

Jim

Bill Stock October 3rd 07 02:34 AM

Routing ABS

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. net...
Bill Stock wrote:
I want to cut a 3/4" slot in an ABS end cap, but I was concerned that it
might shatter. Second problem is how to hold it straight while cutting
the slot. A dado is another option if that would work better.

Ideas?

Stick the cap on a length of pipe to hold it.
Hold in a vise or similar.
Then make a couple of cuts by hand with a hacksaw
or even a wood saw.

Jim

Thanks, that was my first thought, just seemed too low tech. :-)

[email protected] October 3rd 07 05:23 AM

Routing ABS

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:48:53 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

I want to cut a 3/4" slot in an ABS end cap, but I was concerned that it
might shatter. Second problem is how to hold it straight while cutting the
slot. A dado is another option if that would work better.

Ideas?

ABS ???
As in Abs, buns and thighs ?
or what?

Smitty Two October 3rd 07 05:31 AM

Routing ABS

In article ,
"Bill Stock" wrote:

I want to cut a 3/4" slot in an ABS end cap, but I was concerned that it
might shatter. Second problem is how to hold it straight while cutting the
slot. A dado is another option if that would work better.

Ideas?

3/4" wide, or 3/4" long? Do you have a sketch? ABS machines readily.

Rudy October 4th 07 09:31 AM

Routing ABS

I want to cut a 3/4" slot in an ABS end cap,

Table saw