Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sprinkler valve problems

Spent most of Saturday messing around with my sprinklers, still aren't
working quite right.

First noticed that one of the circuits in the back yard wasn't popping
up when it turned on. Went and looked at the valve, noticed that the
solenoid was all cracked, split, and otherwise didn't look very good.
Replaced the solenoid - same thing.

Then I noticed that the other circuit had the same problem. It's
solenoid looked OK so I didn't replace it.

Both circuits will turn on fully if I open the bleed screw. There is
no manual flow control on the valve, so no need to check that.

Put an AC voltmeter across the terminals in the controller - 28VAC
when the circuit was on. Checked the voltage at the valves - still 28
volts.

Thinking maybe the common wire had gone bad, ran a new cable from the
controller to that set of valves, rewired all the solenoids. No joy.

The set of valves that control the front yard circuits, on the other
hand, work just fine, so I don't think it's anything common in the
controller. Different cable running to the valve manifold for the
front yard, so the only differences are the valves or the wiring.

Can't think of anything else electrically-related that could be
causing my problem. I have changed all the wiring from the controller
to the valve manifold, and verified 28VAC across the solenoid wires.

Any sprinkler gurus out there got any suggestions? Can those valves
get messed up inside? Both at once? Hmm, city changed our water meter
about a month ago - could the valves be clogged inside? Why only the
back yard valves and not the front? The valves have something like 8
or 9 screws on the top, should I open them up, is there anything user-
servicable in there?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:28:32 -0700, Jerry
wrote:

[...]

A weak diaphragm might act like this. Debris from the meter work might
be clogging the diaphragm, also.

Remove the screws and clean well. You may need to locate a repair kit
(s) at the local hardware/landscape center and install them.

Visit the web site for the model you have.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 2, 2:09 pm, Oren wrote:

A weak diaphragm might act like this. Debris from the meter work might
be clogging the diaphragm, also.

Maybe, but only the back yard valves seem to be having a problem.
Seems kinda strange. But then, they are a different model than the
front yard valves.

Remove the screws and clean well. You may need to locate a repair kit
(s) at the local hardware/landscape center and install them.

Visit the web site for the model you have.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Heh, the city replaced the meter because it stopped registering usage.
They called to let me know about my "problem". I dug out my last 3 or
4 bills from the city, and sure enough, there were only charges for
garbage pickup, sewer, and the base charge for water, no water usage
at all. I informed them that it wasn't an inconvenience for me at all,
but they insisted that I needed a new meter. Well, at least they
didn't invent a usage for the months that the meter wasn't
registering.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:42:00 -0700, Jerry
wrote:

On Oct 2, 2:09 pm, Oren wrote:

A weak diaphragm might act like this. Debris from the meter work might
be clogging the diaphragm, also.

Maybe, but only the back yard valves seem to be having a problem.
Seems kinda strange. But then, they are a different model than the
front yard valves.

The two circuits in my back yard (original) used to get full desert
sun, because they were above ground. I cut the lines back and put in a
landscape box for the valves.

The diaphragm just gets weak, so the failure. The solenoid can be
fine, but the diaphragm is to weak.

Remove the screws and clean well. You may need to locate a repair kit
(s) at the local hardware/landscape center and install them.

Visit the web site for the model you have.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Heh, the city replaced the meter because it stopped registering usage.
They called to let me know about my "problem". I dug out my last 3 or
4 bills from the city, and sure enough, there were only charges for
garbage pickup, sewer, and the base charge for water, no water usage
at all. I informed them that it wasn't an inconvenience for me at all,
but they insisted that I needed a new meter. Well, at least they
didn't invent a usage for the months that the meter wasn't
registering.

Jerry

I called the water company some months back. Water leaking from the
street side of the meter. The came out in short order for the fix.
Turns out it was the meter for next door. )

--
Oren