Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default floor tiles problem

I recently had some dark blue Marley tiles laid in my kitchen (the
label on the box the contractor left said they were 'semi-flexible').

Today I noticed a few thin white lines on them. The only thing I'd
ever dragged over the floor was a polythene mop-bucket, which I
thought was far too soft to scratch them, so I thought these lines
must be something I could clean off.

So I tried to remove the lines with a mop and Flash liquid, and when
this didn't work, I rubbed them with the sort of plastic scouring
sponge you use for non-stick pans. I thought that since it was
plastic
on plastic, it couldn't do any harm.

Now the floor has lots of large pale patches that I can only assume
must be thousands of tiny scratches made by this scouring sponge.

Is there any way I can polish them off? I've only had this floor for
few weeks and I'd hate to think I've messed it up for good.

Marley's own site has nothing about floor tiles, so anything anyone
here can suggest would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Martin

Posted to alt.home.repair

martin wrote:
[...]

I know nothing about your tiles, but did a quick google search and found
this:
http://www.marleyfloors.com/floors/s.../documents.asp

For the one type that I checked, the instructions for maint. are very
specific, bold type. I think that your fine scratches will disappear
when you put on some sort of coating (according to instr. for your type
of tile, of course). The one I checked was also specific about not
letting water stand .. damp mop so's it dried in 15 sec. Seems rather
odd for vinyl. Good luck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

martin wrote:
[...]

IME it's often residue from cleaning products that discolours vinyl
flooring. The abrasives are fine enough to penetrate and leave a dull
haze. It seems unlikely the abrasive you used would have scratched them.
I'm sure it'll all look the same in 6 months time
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Oct 1, 7:32 am, martin wrote:
I recently had some dark blue Marley tiles laid in my kitchen (the
label on the box the contractor left said they were 'semi-flexible').

Today I noticed a few thin white lines on them. The only thing I'd
ever dragged over the floor was a polythene mop-bucket, which I
thought was far too soft to scratch them, so I thought these lines
must be something I could clean off.

So I tried to remove the lines with a mop and Flash liquid, and when
this didn't work, I rubbed them with the sort of plastic scouring
sponge you use for non-stick pans. I thought that since it was
plastic
on plastic, it couldn't do any harm.

Now the floor has lots of large pale patches that I can only assume
must be thousands of tiny scratches made by this scouring sponge.

You can use the scrubber pads to polish metal, so it's not a stretch
to think it could affect vinyl tile. They make a bunch of different
types/colors of scrubber pads. Check the 3M web site for Scotchbrite
pads and pick the least abrasive one.

floor tiles problem martin UK diy 2 October 1st 07 03:52 PM
Ceramic floor tiles "crunching"; foundation problem? Walter King Home Ownership 7 April 16th 07 04:47 PM
Ceramica Global - worldwide wall tiles and floor tiles catalogues Ceramica Global Home Ownership 0 November 29th 06 01:35 PM
Tiling - Wall Tiles or Floor Tiles first Charles Gregory UK diy 1 January 17th 04 10:31 AM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 09:41 PM