Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood Floor Moulding

Hello. I have two questions pertaining to moulding on my floating wood
floor. I have tile on the floor around the fireplace. I have the moulding
cut and fit into place. There is a gap from the floor to the tile so the
floor can move if it needs too. Im using T moulding. I want to attach it
with some type of glue. I will put the glue on the tile part only, that way
the floor can still expand under the moulding. I bought some liquid nails
but I want to be sure it will work with tile. Will it work with tile is my
firs question. My second question is that I have to place moulding where
the sliding door is. Again I left room to expand. Im using a flat
moulding. I know I will need to use sealant up against the metal frame of
the 8 ft door but I have no idea on how to attach this so the floor can
still move if it needs too. I can use tiny nails or i can use glue but they
would have to be place on the moulding onto the floor thus I don't think it
would be able to expand. This is an 8ft piece. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Thomas" wrote in message
I bought some liquid nails but I want to be sure it will work with tile.
Will it work with tile is my firs question.

Yes, any type of polyurethane construction adhesive will hold well.

My second question is that I have to place moulding where
the sliding door is. Again I left room to expand. Im using a flat
moulding. I know I will need to use sealant up against the metal frame of
the 8 ft door but I have no idea on how to attach this so the floor can
still move if it needs too. I can use tiny nails or i can use glue but
they would have to be place on the moulding onto the floor thus I don't
think it would be able to expand. This is an 8ft piece. Any suggestions
would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you calking it to the door frame? If so, that is all the attachment you
need and the floor will float under it. Use a flexible product, like clear
silicone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:27:45 -0700, "Thomas" wrote:

I know I will need to use sealant up against the metal frame of
the 8 ft door but I have no idea on how to attach this so the floor can
still move if it needs too. I can use tiny nails or i can use glue but they
would have to be place on the moulding onto the floor thus I don't think it
would be able to expand. This is an 8ft piece. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. Thanks.

As mentioned caulk along the door frame. I have used "a couple of
brads" over an 8ft span of a door frame. Placed through the trim and
into the floating floor. Sounds like you have plenty of room for
movement, so a few brads won't hurt, imo.

Place a temporary weight (box of wood?) over the tim span to help with
adhesion of the trim and allow to cure/set-up.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to both of you for replies. Where the moulding is around the
fireplace tile I really need to use a brad or two where it is a little high
and wont glue down because, it just wont. A brad or two will be ok? There
is about 1 inch room there. Thanks.