DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Heat Pump (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/215845-heat-pump.html)

TSIs2000 September 27th 07 10:13 PM

Heat Pump

I am contemplating installing a packaged heat pump - i.e. has stand
alone air handler as I have have no furnace now. Two questions 1) it
is OK to have the air handler in an upheated crawl space under a deck,
as opposed to under the house in a 20" crawl space. There is much more
room under the deck? 2) the best deals on are on R22 units - any
problems going with this older technology?

Telstra September 27th 07 11:50 PM

Heat Pump

A packaged Unit is one in which the AHU and Condensing
unit is in one package.
The system you are describing is called a split system where
the AHU ( Indoor Unit ) is split from the ( Outdoor Unit )
condensing Unit.
The positioning of these Units relates to Duct and Pipe runs
which should be as short economical and direct as possible

The Refrigerant of choice should be ( R410A ) not R22 as
this refrigerant is due to be phased out.

oups.com...

Telstra September 28th 07 12:23 AM

Heat Pump

Incidentally Packaged Units are often overlooked by
home owners who wish to install there own A/C Units

These Units are fully Piped up and Pre-charged with
refrigerant and require only additional wiring for power
and control
..
The installation of these Units then comes down to Duct
layout Supply and return.

oups.com...

[email protected] September 28th 07 02:52 AM

Heat Pump

On Sep 27, 6:50 pm, "Telstra" wrote:
A packaged Unit is one in which the AHU and Condensing
unit is in one package.
The system you are describing is called a split system where
the AHU ( Indoor Unit ) is split from the ( Outdoor Unit )
condensing Unit.
The positioning of these Units relates to Duct and Pipe runs
which should be as short economical and direct as possible

The Refrigerant of choice should be ( R410A ) not R22 as
this refrigerant is due to be phased out.

"TSIs2000" wrote in message

oups.com...

I am contemplating installing a packaged heat pump - i.e. has stand
alone air handler as I have have no furnace now. Two questions 1) it
is OK to have the air handler in an upheated crawl space under a deck,
as opposed to under the house in a 20" crawl space. There is much more
room under the deck? 2) the best deals on are on R22 units - any
problems going with this older technology?

There are manufacturer requirements for clear space around th
condensor and for access to the air handling unit. They will be a bit
different from unit to unit.

No Name September 28th 07 06:48 PM

Heat Pump

"TSIs2000" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am contemplating installing a packaged heat pump - i.e. has stand
alone air handler as I have have no furnace now. Two questions 1) it
is OK to have the air handler in an upheated crawl space under a deck,
as opposed to under the house in a 20" crawl space. There is much more
room under the deck? 2) the best deals on are on R22 units - any
problems going with this older technology?

R22 is proven reliable with a competent installer.