DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   riding mower wont start (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/215826-riding-mower-wont-start.html)

[email protected] September 27th 07 06:39 PM

riding mower wont start

i have a murray 20 hp riding mower about 5 yrs old,i had it started
once after beating on the solonoid and pouring some gas in the
carb,but it didnt stay on,reason no fuel i replaced fuel line put
fresh fuel and anew solonoid,but it still wont turn on,it turns over
but wont turn on,ps i noticed oil and posibble gas at the muffler
tip,any suggestions guys,
thank you
sam

Oren September 27th 07 07:37 PM

riding mower wont start

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:39:36 -0000, wrote:

i have a murray 20 hp riding mower about 5 yrs old,i had it started
once after beating on the solonoid and pouring some gas in the
carb,but it didnt stay on,reason no fuel i replaced fuel line put
fresh fuel and anew solonoid,but it still wont turn on,it turns over
but wont turn on,ps i noticed oil and posibble gas at the muffler
tip,any suggestions guys,
thank you
sam

Over choked ? See it the choke is stuck closed.

Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Fouled plugs.

--
Oren

DerbyDad03 September 27th 07 07:46 PM

riding mower wont start

On 27 Sep, 14:37, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:39:36 -0000, wrote:
i have a murray 20 hp riding mower about 5 yrs old,i had it started
once after beating on the solonoid and pouring some gas in the
carb,but it didnt stay on,reason no fuel i replaced fuel line put
fresh fuel and anew solonoid,but it still wont turn on,it turns over
but wont turn on,ps i noticed oil and posibble gas at the muffler
tip,any suggestions guys,
thank you
sam

Over choked ? See it the choke is stuck closed.

Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Fouled plugs.

--
Oren

-- Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Quick Poll - Who here *hasn't* disabled the deadman switch under the
seat of their riding mower?

Oren September 27th 07 07:55 PM

riding mower wont start

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:46:27 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On 27 Sep, 14:37, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:39:36 -0000, wrote:
i have a murray 20 hp riding mower about 5 yrs old,i had it started
once after beating on the solonoid and pouring some gas in the
carb,but it didnt stay on,reason no fuel i replaced fuel line put
fresh fuel and anew solonoid,but it still wont turn on,it turns over
but wont turn on,ps i noticed oil and posibble gas at the muffler
tip,any suggestions guys,
thank you
sam

Over choked ? See it the choke is stuck closed.

Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Fouled plugs.

-- Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Quick Poll - Who here *hasn't* disabled the deadman switch under the
seat of their riding mower?

I haven't, but I only owned one tractor and sold it :)

--
Oren

Clark[_3_] September 27th 07 08:53 PM

riding mower wont start

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 27 Sep, 14:37, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:39:36 -0000, wrote:
i have a murray 20 hp riding mower about 5 yrs old,i had it started
once after beating on the solonoid and pouring some gas in the
carb,but it didnt stay on,reason no fuel i replaced fuel line put
fresh fuel and anew solonoid,but it still wont turn on,it turns over
but wont turn on,ps i noticed oil and posibble gas at the muffler
tip,any suggestions guys,
thank you
sam

Over choked ? See it the choke is stuck closed.

Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Fouled plugs.

--
Oren

"I don't have anything against work. I just figure, why deprive
somebody who really loves it."

-- Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Quick Poll - Who here *hasn't* disabled the deadman switch under the
seat of their riding mower?

Second thing I do is to bypass that damn switch, first thing is, take off
the crap blades that came with the unit.

Clark...

[email protected] September 27th 07 09:40 PM

riding mower wont start

On Sep 27, 1:19 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:39:36 +0000, samhou2001 wrote:
i have a murray 20 hp riding mower about 5 yrs old,i had it started
once after beating on the solonoid and pouring some gas in the
carb,but it didnt stay on,reason no fuel i replaced fuel line put
fresh fuel and anew solonoid,but it still wont turn on,it turns over
but wont turn on,ps i noticed oil and posibble gas at the muffler
tip,any suggestions guys,
thank you
sam

Pull the plugs and crank it over to clear the cylinders. Replace the plugs
and try to start like you normally would. If it doesn't start you'll need
to determine if it is getting too little or too much fuel or no spark.
If it fires but does not stay running check the plugs to see if they are
wet with and have a strong smell of gas. If so the motor is flooding. If
not it's not getting enough gas. Since you have gas in the muffler it may
be flooding or doesn't have good enough spark. If you lack these kind of
troubleshooting skills you're pretty much limited to changing plugs and
what you've already done.

I missed to mention that i replaced the spark plugs with new ones, and
bypass the seat switch

Oren September 27th 07 10:12 PM

riding mower wont start

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:40:11 -0000, wrote:

[...]

Lightly tap the carb bowl a few times with the screwdriver handle. The
float /needle might be sticking, so the flooding. Otherwise, clean it
with a spray carb cleaner and check the float.

--
Oren

C & E[_2_] September 28th 07 02:07 AM

riding mower wont start

"Oren" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:40:11 -0000, wrote:

On Sep 27, 1:19 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:39:36 +0000, samhou2001 wrote:
i have a murray 20 hp riding mower about 5 yrs old,i had it started
once after beating on the solonoid and pouring some gas in the

snip

Lightly tap the carb bowl a few times with the screwdriver handle. The
float /needle might be sticking, so the flooding. Otherwise, clean it
with a spray carb cleaner and check the float.

--
Oren

Agreed, Owen. I just wanted to warn Sam that when he takes off the float
bowl
and removes the float swivel pin to remove it to watch for the needle valve
as it
comes out of the seat. Shake the float and if you hear sloshing it needs to
be
replaced. Shoot some carb cleaner into the valve seat and be sure to
protect
your eyes from splash back. Shoot the carb cleaner into every opening that
you
can find. Just a thought

Chuck

Bob September 28th 07 12:32 PM

riding mower wont start

snip
-- Your are sitting on the seat right - deadman switch..?

Quick Poll - Who here *hasn't* disabled the deadman switch under
the
seat of their riding mower?

I haven't, see no reason to do so.
Bob-tx

dpb September 28th 07 02:39 PM

riding mower wont start

Clark wrote:
...first thing is, take off
the crap blades that came with the unit.

Bet it doesn't mow worth a lick that way... :)

dpb September 28th 07 02:41 PM

riding mower wont start

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Quick Poll - Who here *hasn't* disabled the deadman switch under the
seat of their riding mower?

I haven't -- but I don't have anything new enough to have had one to
start with... :)

Well, I take that back, I have one--the JD 955 somebody else had already
done it when I bought it. That count?

DerbyDad03 September 28th 07 03:32 PM

riding mower wont start

On 28 Sep, 09:41, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Quick Poll - Who here *hasn't* disabled the deadman switch under the
seat of their riding mower?

I haven't -- but I don't have anything new enough to have had one to
start with... :)

-- Well, I take that back, I have one--the JD 955 somebody else had
already done it when I bought it. That count?

It only counts if you haven't considered hooking it back up. ;-)