DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/215253-need-homemade-anti-foaming-agent-rug-doctor.html)

DerbyDad03 September 22nd 07 12:19 AM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

Thanks!

JoeSpareBedroom September 22nd 07 12:22 AM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

Thanks!

I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

Rick Blaine September 22nd 07 01:04 AM

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

If you need "anti foaming agent" in the recovery tank, you are using far too
much detergent in the main tank. That detergent stays in your carpet for the
most part and will cause it to get dirty again far sooner than it should.

Follow the directions to the letter for the amount of detergent in the main
tank.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Oren September 22nd 07 01:14 AM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

The Rug Doctor machine is a good rental, worth every bit. I've used
them twice in a former home...renting from the grocery store. They
make money on the liquid products.

--
Oren

JoeSpareBedroom September 22nd 07 01:16 AM

"Oren" wrote in message
I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results
when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

The Rug Doctor machine is a good rental, worth every bit. I've used
them twice in a former home...renting from the grocery store. They
make money on the liquid products.

--
Oren

Does it leave much of a chemical smell during the drying process, or just
detergent-ish? I work at home. There's no escape...however, I have maybe a
month during which I can open lots of windows. After that....chilly.

DerbyDad03 September 22nd 07 01:24 AM

On Sep 21, 7:04 pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

If you need "anti foaming agent" in the recovery tank, you are using far too
much detergent in the main tank. That detergent stays in your carpet for the
most part and will cause it to get dirty again far sooner than it should.

-- Follow the directions to the letter for the amount of detergent in
the main tank.

Thanks for the reply, Rick, but that's not really the issue. The Rug
Doctor instructions call for anti-foaming agent as follows:

"Anti-foam is necessary for carpet cleaning only if you've previously
used high foaming shampoos or spray on products."

So while faoming may or may not be the result of too much detergent,
that wouldn't be my problem since I am indeed following the
instructions as per the amount of detergent to use "to the letter" -
well, actually, to the number.

In any case, as it turns out, I started the job tonight and I don't
need the anti-foaming agent, even while using the upper-end of the
amount of detergent called for. There's so much dirt coming out the
carpets that no self respecting bubble would dare form in the recovery
tank!

Oren September 22nd 07 01:30 AM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 23:16:16 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results
when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

The Rug Doctor machine is a good rental, worth every bit. I've used
them twice in a former home...renting from the grocery store. They
make money on the liquid products.

--
Oren

Does it leave much of a chemical smell during the drying process, or just
detergent-ish? I work at home. There's no escape...however, I have maybe a
month during which I can open lots of windows. After that....chilly.

I used the recommended liquids when I rented. IMO there was no
significant odor or smell. Later I used upholstery cleaner in the car
- when the house was finished. Clean the car carpets :)

Allow to dry, and yes open windows will always help.

--
Oren

Joe September 22nd 07 03:09 AM

On Sep 21, 5:19 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

Thanks!

Try a little PAM non stick spray. Works like a charm in my MagnaSand
drywall dust sanding trap, might work with rug doctor too. HTH

Joe

DerbyDad03 September 22nd 07 03:44 AM

On Sep 21, 7:16 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message

I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results
when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

The Rug Doctor machine is a good rental, worth every bit. I've used
them twice in a former home...renting from the grocery store. They
make money on the liquid products.

--
Oren

Does it leave much of a chemical smell during the drying process, or just
detergent-ish? I work at home. There's no escape...however, I have maybe a
month during which I can open lots of windows. After that....chilly.

On the spot reporter here...

I just finished the living room and there is no significant odor to
speak off. Of course, I'm right in the middle of it, so who knows.
Maybe we could a fresh nose...come on over and sniff.

While I was cleaning the rug, my bare feet got wet enough to be
slippery on the kitchen floor. Less than a half hour later, with a fan
blowing on the rug, it's still damp, but not enough to make my feet
slippery anymore.

Now, as far as the cleaning ability of the unit, I might be
embarresing myself but I'll tell you the results...

It's been many, many years since the carpets were cleaned. I have 4
kids, a dog and a cat. 99% of the time shoes are not worn in the
house. I used the strongest concentration suggested on the bottle (4
oz per gallon of hot water) and ran the machine much slower than the 1
foot per second suggested. The amount of dirt removed on the first
pass was significant and there was a visible difference in the color
of the beige rug. I ran a second pass a bit faster and although there
was no visible improvement in the color of the rug, there also wasn't
any visible improvement in the color of the recovery water either. It
lok just as dirty to me. Just for fun, I ran a third pass with just
hot water...kind of like a rinse. The recovery water was much lighter
but was it because the carpet was finally getting clean or because
there was no detergent to extract anymore dirt? Once I get done with
the office and the stairs, I may over the living room again with
detergent to see.

So the real question is: Was my carpet so dirty that even a
professional machine would have taken 2 -3 passes, or are these
machines just not powerful enough to get all the dirt out in one pass?

Cost in Western NY: $19.99 for 24 hours for a 10" wide machine. The
wide track (16"?) would have been $24.99. The solution starts at
$10.98 for a 48 oz bottle of the standard stuff, $12.98 for the oxy-
enhanced version. The 48 oz says it does 450 - 900 sq ft. I'll agree
with that based on the concentration I used, how many passes I made
and how slow I went.

On to the office...

Smitty Two September 22nd 07 04:05 AM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

In article . com,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

So the real question is: Was my carpet so dirty that even a
professional machine would have taken 2 -3 passes, or are these
machines just not powerful enough to get all the dirt out in one pass?

The major advantage to a professional machine is the massive suction
power. Any old beast will loosen the dirt. But no rental from the
supermarket is going to have any where near the suction of a
truck-mounted machine. No matter how much dirt you suck out, or how many
passes you make, there's still going to be a lot of it that sinks down
into the backing, and the pad, that will not come out. I think that's
what makes carpets so dirty so quickly after they've been cleaned
incompletely.

But keep us posted as you go along, and a few months down the road.

Rick Blaine September 22nd 07 04:29 AM

DerbyDad03 wrote:

So while faoming may or may not be the result of too much detergent,
that wouldn't be my problem since I am indeed following the
instructions as per the amount of detergent to use "to the letter" -
well, actually, to the number.

In any case, as it turns out, I started the job tonight and I don't
need the anti-foaming agent, even while using the upper-end of the
amount of detergent called for. There's so much dirt coming out the
carpets that no self respecting bubble would dare form in the recovery
tank!

Ah... Forgot about the situation where a previous cleaning may have left too
much detergent in the carpet. Glad it worked out for you...

Pete C. September 22nd 07 05:26 AM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

Smitty Two wrote:

In article . com,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

So the real question is: Was my carpet so dirty that even a
professional machine would have taken 2 -3 passes, or are these
machines just not powerful enough to get all the dirt out in one pass?

The major advantage to a professional machine is the massive suction
power. Any old beast will loosen the dirt. But no rental from the
supermarket is going to have any where near the suction of a
truck-mounted machine. No matter how much dirt you suck out, or how many
passes you make, there's still going to be a lot of it that sinks down
into the backing, and the pad, that will not come out. I think that's
what makes carpets so dirty so quickly after they've been cleaned
incompletely.

But keep us posted as you go along, and a few months down the road.

I think you're wrong on the suction thing. I've rented the carpet
machine from Depot a couple times and find that it has very strong
suction and leaves the carpet quite dry after a pass. Yes, a truck
mounted unit has more HP, but it also needs it because it has to
overcome the substantial losses from 100'+ of hose, where the little
rental unit has to deal with what, 12" of duct inside the machine? At
any rate, for the $25 or so with tax for a days rental, I find the Depot
unit quite effective and worthwhile.

As for smell, I don't find much or a smell issue, and I work from home
as well. If the weather isn't suitable for airing out the house, I just
run a dehumidifier in the central hallway and leave the HVAC fan on and
in a day things are pretty well dry, not that the machine left the
carpet more than slightly damp to begin with.

Bob M. September 22nd 07 06:13 AM

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Oren" wrote in message
I can't answer the question, but I'd be interested in the final results
when
you're done, as well as your opinion of the machine itself. I was eyeing
them at the store today, comparing the cost to a carpet cleaning service
that's done decent work for me in the past.

The Rug Doctor machine is a good rental, worth every bit. I've used
them twice in a former home...renting from the grocery store. They
make money on the liquid products.

--
Oren

Does it leave much of a chemical smell during the drying process, or just
detergent-ish? I work at home. There's no escape...however, I have maybe a
month during which I can open lots of windows. After that....chilly.

No it doesn't, but if you really need clean, as in CLEAN, then you need to
call the carpet cleaning people. A small motor on wheels is no match for a
truck-mounted unit.

I used one recently and while the water was black when it was done, the
light-colored carpet didn't look that much cleaner. I am only somewhat
impressed with the Rug Doctor.

clifto September 22nd 07 07:10 AM

Bob M. wrote:
No it doesn't, but if you really need clean, as in CLEAN, then you need to
call the carpet cleaning people. A small motor on wheels is no match for a
truck-mounted unit.

Had the guys with the truck-mounted unit out. Half-assed job. A few months
later, had some pros out with self-contained machines. MUCH better.

It's not always the equipment that makes the difference.

--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.

willshak September 22nd 07 04:51 PM

on 9/21/2007 6:19 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:
I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.

Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?

Thanks!

Salt works, but I don't know how much you would need.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Bob M. September 22nd 07 09:56 PM

"clifto" wrote in message
Bob M. wrote:
No it doesn't, but if you really need clean, as in CLEAN, then you need
call the carpet cleaning people. A small motor on wheels is no match for
truck-mounted unit.

Had the guys with the truck-mounted unit out. Half-assed job. A few months
later, had some pros out with self-contained machines. MUCH better.

It's not always the equipment that makes the difference.

That's true, but the OP said he had some service come out & do it a while
back & they did a good job. If it were me, I'd call them back & not bother
with the Rug Doctor.

DerbyDad03 September 22nd 07 10:40 PM

On 22 Sep, 15:56, "Bob M." wrote:
"clifto" wrote in message

Bob M. wrote:
No it doesn't, but if you really need clean, as in CLEAN, then you need
call the carpet cleaning people. A small motor on wheels is no match for
truck-mounted unit.

Had the guys with the truck-mounted unit out. Half-assed job. A few months
later, had some pros out with self-contained machines. MUCH better.

It's not always the equipment that makes the difference.

That's true, but the OP said he had some service come out & do it a while
back & they did a good job. If it were me, I'd call them back & not bother
with the Rug Doctor.

OP here...when and where did I say, imply or even hint in the remotest
of manners that I had a service come out?

Hell Toupee[_2_] September 22nd 07 11:08 PM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

Homemade anti-foaming agents:

1. A small amount of salt. Salt breaks down bubbles.

2. A small amount of soap. Carpet cleaning machines use detergent
and soap breaks detergent down.

Add this to the dirty water accumulation tank, where it'll break
down the foam as the dirty water is sucked out of the carpet. Do
_not_ add it to the clean water/detergent mixture tank.

HellT

Margie November 28th 13 02:08 AM

replying to JoeSpareBedroom, Margie wrote:
dishborealis wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
Does it leave much of a chemical smell during the drying process, or just
detergent-ish? I work at home. There's no escape...however, I have maybe a
month during which I can open lots of windows. After that....chilly.

I don't use the rug dr. but I have the Bissell 2X and it just cleans
great. But although I use the rug Dr. cleaning solution I always use Oxy
Clean powder in the clean water bladder. I boil water and dissolve it and
use it along with the cleaning solution recommended for the machine. I
have Pale Grey carpet. I have a 3 yr. old Grandson and a dog. I have a
white sofa and love seat that I use this on too. Furniture is 8 years old
and I smoke so u know there is nicotine and my carpets and furniture look
like new. I'm out of defoamer right now and can't find it in the stores
around here so now what I have used is Baking Soda in the Bladder where u
pout the clean water. I figured when I was little and my mother had the
old fashion Wringer wash Machine she always wrung the clothes out in the
rinse tub and added Baking soda to the water to get the soap out I would
try it. Baking soda is in things like Calgon and it softens the water and
neutralizes detergent. Its worked well for . ANY TIME U USE A POWDERED
PRODUCT MAKE SURE IT IS VERY WELL DESOLVED OR U CHANCE CLOGGING THE
MACHHINE. I also pre-treat any stains and when I make the first pass with
the cleaning solution I give it a minute to actually dissolve the dirt.
If u don't rinse carpet well uu will have a build up of soap which
actually makes carpets sticky and will attract more dirt than before and
the pile of carpet will not stand up and become nappy and hard to
vacuum.REMEMBER NOT TO SATURATE CARPETS TO MUCH BECAUSE IF THE DON'T DRY U
RUN THE RISK OF HAVING MOLD GROW BETWEEN CARPET AND PADDING.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-252067-.htm

nestork November 28th 13 06:31 PM

DerbyDad:

You don't really need the antifoamer chemical. The primary purpose of adding antifoamer is to prevent foam from being sucked into the vaccuum motor because very wet foam or water could potentially damage that motor.

Instead, just empty your recovery tank more often so that neither the foam nor water gets high enough to be sucked into the vaccuum motor.

Also, the best way to add defoamer to your recovery tank is to squirt it right into the suction tool of the machine when the vaccuum motor is running. That way you have defoamer all through the path way that the soap solution takes so that no foam forms anywhere in the machine.

The recovery tank water was lighter after the third pass because you removed all the dirt that machine could remove with the first two passes. A stronger machine (with a more powerful vaccuum) would have removed more dirty water on both passes and the recovery tank water would have been lighter on the third pass, but that stronger machine would have removed more dirt from the carpet altogether.

Larry[_24_] August 31st 15 03:44 PM

replying to DerbyDad03, Larry wrote:
teamarrows wrote:

I forgot to buy anti-faoming agent for the Rug Doctor I rented this
evening. I'd rather not go back out to get some since I want to get
started first thing in the morning.
Do I have anything lying around the house that will work as an anti-
foaming agent for the dirty water tank?
Thanks!

If you have liquid fabric softener in the house add a capful of it to the
recovery tank (where the dirty water goes).

I learned about this in the Marine Corps when Tide was famous for over
sudsing. A small amount of Downey (or whatever you have) will make the
suds disappear in a few seconds.

Greg. June 30th 16 03:44 PM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

replying to JoeSpareBedroom, Greg. wrote:
Pour some baking soda on a squirt bottle and shake vigorously and spray on
already treated carpet. This will freshen, deform carpet.

Oren[_2_] June 30th 16 06:03 PM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 13:44:02 +0000, Greg.
wrote:

Pour some baking soda on a squirt bottle and shake vigorously and spray on
already treated carpet.

Would it be best to put the mixture inside the spray bottle?

DerbyDad03 June 30th 16 10:00 PM

wrote:

Pour some baking soda on a squirt bottle and shake vigorously and spray on
already treated carpet.

Would it be best to put the mixture inside the spray bottle?

2007, long pause, 2013, long pause, 2015, long pause, 2016

Could we please move this thread along just a wee bit faster?

Turbo-Man November 25th 16 04:14 PM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

replying to DerbyDad03, Turbo-Man wrote:
I started out 29 years ago with a rental doing my own carpet. That turned into
a career doing it professionally. The fact is that you can clean using any
method with most chemistry but what's your time worth and without sufficient
and consistent heat you've lost one of the most important tools in the formula
for removing grime, oils, and odors from fibers. Higher heat also means less
drying time and that is what reduces wick back from deeper in the carpet pile
and contributes to bacterial growth that causes the odor that most people get
the next day using a consumer rental portable.
Am I biased? Of course I am but with what I know and the facts as they exist
you might consider my biased opinion and get your carpets done by a
professional. Having said that also consider that there are idiots out there
in any industry that only know enough to soak your carpets and take your money
without much real cleaning. Do your homework get references and when you find
a professional who knows what he's doing keep him.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-252067-.htm

TC[_6_] September 2nd 18 02:14 AM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

replying to DerbyDad03, TC wrote:
I can't buy antifoam in the store anymore so I use a tsp of salt in the dirty
water collector. It keeps it from foaming🌟Each time you dump the dirty
water (I put it in my toilet instead of my clean sink) add a new tsp of salt
to empty dirty water collecting recepticle. Wish I had known this years ago
would of saved me tons of money.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-252067-.htm

[email protected] February 3rd 19 10:43 PM

Need Homemade Anti Foaming Agent for Rug Doctor

On Friday, September 21, 2007 at 7:05:33 PM UTC-7, Smitty Two wrote:
In article . com,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

So the real question is: Was my carpet so dirty that even a
professional machine would have taken 2 -3 passes, or are these
machines just not powerful enough to get all the dirt out in one pass?

The major advantage to a professional machine is the massive suction
power. Any old beast will loosen the dirt. But no rental from the
supermarket is going to have any where near the suction of a
truck-mounted machine. No matter how much dirt you suck out, or how many
passes you make, there's still going to be a lot of it that sinks down
into the backing, and the pad, that will not come out. I think that's
what makes carpets so dirty so quickly after they've been cleaned
incompletely.

But keep us posted as you go along, and a few months down the road.

When it gets dirty fast after that is because soap is left behind. I wet carpet with the soap as directed. Then use clean water to rinse and suck the carpet. I do this twice. it gets all soap out. The published directions are to make it easier to do not what is best.