Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tankless hot water heater

Has anyone got experience with tankless water heaters? Your thoughts please.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 4:13?pm, "Remi" wrote:
Has anyone got experience with tankless water heaters? Your thoughts please.
Thanks.

here we go again

The idea sounds wonderful BUT!

The unit will be pricey and so will installation, likely larger gas
line directly from meter, larger flue. If you go with a direct vent or
any tankless requiring line voltage a power loss means no hot water at
all. Electric tankless are a double looser, yu will need a main
service upgrade since a decent sized electric tankless takes 150 amps
or more Tankless are complex and require perodic service which can
cost a lot. Endless hot water is wonderful till a teenager decides to
live in shower increasing costs During low flow like a faucet
cracked open to rinse dishes you may get no hot water or very hot
overheated water.

beyond all this current foam insulated standard tanks actually have
very low standby loses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Remi wrote:
Has anyone got experience with tankless water heaters? Your thoughts
please. Thanks.

My plumber laughed when I asked him about them (since he features them in
his ads) and said they were made for people who had too much money and he
was happy to give them what they wanted. :-)

I got a regular old gas water heater from him. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 1:13 pm, "Remi" wrote:
Has anyone got experience with tankless water heaters? Your thoughts please.
Thanks.

only thing i know is that they're pointless for bathtubs. except for
the zillion dollar ones, they only heat like 4-6 gal a minute, and in
cold weather they don't do even that. that's ok 4 a shower tho.
shower runs 2.5 gal a minute, so it's fine. also, most people washing
hands or even doing laundry can use em.

but if you want to fill a tub, you probably want more volume.
tubfiller i'm installing right now does something like 18 gal min,
would max out the tankless.

they say you can run two showers at once though off one of them if the
weather's not real cold.

hth

gene

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 3:13 pm, "Remi" wrote:
Has anyone got experience with tankless water heaters? Your thoughts please.
Thanks.

A family can waist alot of water knowing its always there. Single
users benefit most. My payback is 4-5 years on a small Bosch. Takagi
and Rinnai are tops. You may or may not need a larger gas supply, you
must test gas flow first. A family also saves less since standby loss
of tanks is not as great with tankless with constant use. Tanks scale
up, tankless realy dont, tankless should last 30 yrs since its a
copper coil. You can get a 94% efficient Takagi. True tank efficiency
is no the efficiency rating but the Energy rating, then you see they
are near 60-70%. A minus to tanless is you cant just have a little hot
water since they need a good flow to trigger on. They are worth it for
the right situation, But with a bunch of kids I say no, or you will
get long showers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 6:52?pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:42:07 +0000, Laurie wrote:
Remi wrote:
Has anyone got experience with tankless water heaters? Your thoughts
please. Thanks.

My plumber laughed when I asked him about them (since he features them in
his ads) and said they were made for people who had too much money and he
was happy to give them what they wanted. :-)

I got a regular old gas water heater from him. :-)

Bravo! Well said.

if the goal is endless hot water go with a larger tank and higher BTU.

a 40 gallon 30K BTU tank replaced by a 50 gallon 75K BTU about doubles
the water capacity