Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My AccessMaster Garage Door Opener is crazy!

I've tried so many things to correct my problem with my garage door
opener. I have an Access Master chain driven 1/2 hp. opener. Here
are the symptoms:

The opener will only move about 6 inches then stop on the way down.
Sometimes it will go all the way up, other times only a few feet. The
distance of travel up or down is intermittent. Generally though on
the way down it will not go all the way down in one click of the
button. I have to click it about 7-10 times to get it to go all the
way down.

Things I've tried:

Cleaning the light sensors
Realigning the light sensors (although I didn't have the proper tools)
Adjusting the force adjustments
Adjusting the distance limits
Pulling the emergency latch and testing without the garage door load
Reseting the opener
Unplugging the opener
Testing from the wall switch
Testing from the vehicle switches

Is there an easy way to check on sensor alignment? I thought about
using dry ice, but I'm not sure if the light would show up or not in
the "fog"

I'm guessing that i have something failed in my electronics portion of
the opener. I have not pulled that out to look at it, and it's mostly
surface mount technology so I'm not sure if I could even tell by
looking at it anyway.

Thanks,
Michael

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 1:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

Typically, if the sensors are not aligned correctly, the door won't
operate at all. Since you get some movement, they are probably
working. But to be sure, you can move the transmitter and receiver
right next to each other or completely bypass them if you know how to
wire it that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 7:59 am, wrote:
On Sep 19, 1:11 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bo! I'll try bypassing them or moving them right next to each
other. I'll post the results. Thanks again.
Michael

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

twonkie wrote:

Thanks Bo! I'll try bypassing them or moving them right next to each
other. I'll post the results. Thanks again.

If it moves, they're aligned well enough. Unless there's something
breaking the beam intermittently, it's highly unlikely from the
described symptoms they're the problem.

Sounds more like intermittent electrical contact somewhere to me...

I'd be looking at all connections, limit switches, motor connections,
etc., etc., ...

How does it operate if disconnect the door and simply actuate the closer
mechanism? If it does the same, it's electrical/controls. If it
operates normally, it's mechanical.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

When I disconnect the door it acts the same way, It's almost like a
capacitor is discharging too quickly IMO.

That's what I was thinking. I think I'm going to call Chamberlain
tomorrow when I'm standing in front of the opener.

Thanks dpb!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chain too tight? There should be about 1/2" sag in the chain w/ the
door disconnect from the opener.

T-Rail dry? The operators come w/ a small tube of light grease that
supposed to be put on the rail, but many people never use it.

DoorDoc
www.ActionDoor.com

On Sep 19, 1:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
Chain too tight? There should be about 1/2" sag in the chain w/ the
door disconnect from the opener.

T-Rail dry? The operators come w/ a small tube of light grease that
supposed to be put on the rail, but many people never use it.

I'm having similar problems. No chain - it's got a worm drive. Same possible
solution? It's spotless-clean somehow, which is odd since the rest of the
garage is pretty dusty. I've got some spray lithium lubricant that works
well everywhere else I've used it. Is this OK to use on the worm drive?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 20, 2:54 pm, twonkie wrote:
On Sep 20, 10:05 am, dpb wrote:

twonkie wrote:

[...]

Well after replacing the RPM sensor and the garage door still having
problems, I called Chamberlain again and went through the
troubleshooting process again. The second go around spurned new light
about the problem. The agent that I spoke with said it was a problem
on the logic board...an electronics problem. I ordered a new logic
board. I received the board and replaced it. I haven't had any
problems since. My warranty was expired so my total expense was
around $100 dollars to fix it. Thanks for all the assistance!