DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting wood with green slime (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/215021-painting-wood-green-slime.html)

[email protected] September 19th 07 03:30 PM

Painting wood with green slime

I replaced some wood on a camping trailer last year. I never got it
painted. It's been under a tree all year. Now this new wood has a
green slime or green (something) on it. [What is it?].

Do I need to sand this all off the wood, or can I just scrub it with
bleach, or can I paint right over it? I plan to use an oil based
paint.

JoeSpareBedroom September 19th 07 03:40 PM

wrote in message
I replaced some wood on a camping trailer last year. I never got it
painted. It's been under a tree all year. Now this new wood has a
green slime or green (something) on it. [What is it?].

Do I need to sand this all off the wood, or can I just scrub it with
bleach, or can I paint right over it? I plan to use an oil based
paint.

It's probably penetrated the wood. Replace the wood and paint it immediately
this time. You could try cleaning it bleach, but you'll probably have a
tough time knowing if the wood is still in good shape beneath the visible
surface.

dpb September 19th 07 03:42 PM

wrote:
I replaced some wood on a camping trailer last year. I never got it
painted. It's been under a tree all year. Now this new wood has a
green slime or green (something) on it. [What is it?].

Do I need to sand this all off the wood, or can I just scrub it with
bleach, or can I paint right over it? I plan to use an oil based
paint.

It's most likely moss along w/ other "stuff" that tends to fall from
trees... :)

Yes, you'll need to remove it down to bare wood to have any hope of
paint staying on it for more than about 15 minutes.

Power washing and oxalic acid (wood bleach, one of the common deck
cleaners), then whatever other cleanup that leaves. Sand it some to get
a good surface for adhesion. Obviously, let it dry thoroughly before
painting.

dadiOH September 19th 07 03:57 PM

wrote:
I replaced some wood on a camping trailer last year. I never got it
painted. It's been under a tree all year. Now this new wood has a
green slime or green (something) on it. [What is it?].

Moss/algae...same stuff that grows on the north side of trees.
___________

Do I need to sand this all off the wood, or can I just scrub it with
bleach, or can I paint right over it? I plan to use an oil based
paint.

Kill it with bleach, rinse, let dry. If any residue remains, scrape
or sand off. Prime. paint.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...