Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Is stucco material simply mortar mix?

I want to try stucco on some concrete block.

Can I use premixed block mortar mix? or is there a special formula for
stucco?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 9:07 am, wrote:
I want to try stucco on some concrete block.

Can I use premixed block mortar mix? or is there a special formula for
stucco?

Typically stucco is applied in two coats. The base coat can be a good
quality Type S mortar. The finish coat should be "real" stucco, like
this:

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...FinishCoat.asp

JK

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 19, 9:07 am, wrote:
I want to try stucco on some concrete block.

Can I use premixed block mortar mix? or is there a special formula for
stucco?

Typically stucco is applied in two coats. The base coat can be a good
quality Type S mortar. The finish coat should be "real" stucco, like
this:

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines...FinishCoat.asp

JK

ditto.

The first coat is called the scratch coat. This is applied to wire,
masonry, plywood, or other surfaces as the first coat. The second coat is
called the color coat, and has the tinting in it to give it the desired
color.

If you want any particular type of finish, like say a peacock tail spread,
or a special pattern with the color coat, then you have to apply a flat
first coat so that the second one flows over the first.

It ain't rocket science, but it IS a cement mixture, and you only have a
while when it is wet, so get your ducks in a row, and know what to do,
because once it starts drying, that's what it's going to look like for a
long long time.

A little studying, Googling, and asking around will save you a lot of work
and heartache later.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

On Sep 19, 10:52 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Big_Jake" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 19, 9:07 am, wrote:
[...]

How are the patterns put into the stucco? I've seen some that look
like little worms, not that I want to do it or even like it...just
really curious about the stucco process.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Sep 19, 11:07 am, wrote:
I want to trystuccoon some concrete block.

Can I use premixed block mortar mix? or is there a special formula forstucco?

Not sure, there may be an answer at http://www.anythingstucco.com

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I want to trystuccoon some concrete block.

Can I use premixed block mortar mix? or is there a special formula
forstucco?

"How to make stucco. Need to do stucco work and have no idea how to make
stucco? Read this article and find out what is needed."

http://ct.essortment.com/stuccomixtures_rgfy.htm

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 4:08 pm, "Dennis" wrote:
I want to trystuccoon some concrete block.

Can I use premixed block mortar mix? or is there a special formula
forstucco?

"How to make stucco. Need to do stucco work and have no idea how to make
stucco? Read this article and find out what is needed."

http://ct.essortment.com/stuccomixtures_rgfy.htm

And, if possible, watch a pro apply a coat. Just as in drywalling,
you can learn more watching for 5 minutes than any reference will
teach you. The reference material gives you the 'theory', watching
gives the 'how to'.

Harry K

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

And, if possible, watch a pro apply a coat. Just as in drywalling,
you can learn more watching for 5 minutes than any reference will
teach you. The reference material gives you the 'theory', watching
gives the 'how to'.

Yea, I remember when me and my wife wallpapered the bathroom. I think we
finally got all the blood stains off......

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:29:31 GMT, "Dennis" wrote:

And, if possible, watch a pro apply a coat. Just as in drywalling,
you can learn more watching for 5 minutes than any reference will
teach you. The reference material gives you the 'theory', watching
gives the 'how to'.

Yea, I remember when me and my wife wallpapered the bathroom. I think we
finally got all the blood stains off......

Never, ever, ever give your wife anything sharp or heavy when doing a
joint project. Doing so puts your life at risk...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 7:26 pm, PeterD wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:29:31 GMT, "Dennis" wrote:
And, if possible, watch a pro apply a coat. Just as in drywalling,
you can learn more watching for 5 minutes than any reference will
teach you. The reference material gives you the 'theory', watching
gives the 'how to'.

Yea, I remember when me and my wife wallpapered the bathroom. I think we
finally got all the blood stains off......

Never, ever, ever give your wife anything sharp or heavy when doing a
joint project. Doing so puts your life at risk...

You are out of place here....Keep your opinions for the ebayeess...