DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cedar shake roof treatments? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/214041-cedar-shake-roof-treatments.html)

[email protected] September 11th 07 08:11 AM

Cedar shake roof treatments?

I was talking to a roofer about what to do with our ~25 year old cedar
shake roof and one option he offered was a "restoration" consisting of
pressure washing the existing shakes, replacing all damaged shakes and
felt, and spray-on treatment with a derivative of guanidine phosphate,
which is supposed to be UV protective, and decay and fire retardant.
They offer a 12 year warranty on the treatment.

Are these chemical treatments effective for older roofs? The quoted
price seemed potentially attractive compared to a new shake roof, but
not exactly cheap ($6K for 2700 sq ft). Maybe most of the value of
the "restoration" comes from the repair work?

-- Dave

Caesar Romano September 11th 07 10:59 AM

Cedar shake roof treatments?

On 11 Sep 2007 07:11:47 GMT, wrote Re Cedar shake
roof treatments?:

I was talking to a roofer about what to do with our ~25 year old cedar
shake roof and one option he offered was a "restoration" consisting of
pressure washing the existing shakes, replacing all damaged shakes and
felt, and spray-on treatment with a derivative of guanidine phosphate,
which is supposed to be UV protective, and decay and fire retardant.
They offer a 12 year warranty on the treatment.

Are these chemical treatments effective for older roofs? The quoted
price seemed potentially attractive compared to a new shake roof, but
not exactly cheap ($6K for 2700 sq ft). Maybe most of the value of
the "restoration" comes from the repair work?

A neighbor down the road had something like this done several years
ago. I don't know if it's the same treatment as you are considering.
The neighbor said the treatment lasted about two years. When he tried
to contact the roofer, the roofer had gone out of business.

I would replace the shake with something else.

tom September 11th 07 12:50 PM

On Sep 11, 12:11 am, wrote:
I was talking to a roofer about what to do with our ~25 year old cedar
shake roof and one option he offered was a "restoration" consisting of
pressure washing the existing shakes, replacing all damaged shakes and
felt, and spray-on treatment with a derivative of guanidine phosphate,
which is supposed to be UV protective, and decay and fire retardant.
They offer a 12 year warranty on the treatment.

Are these chemical treatments effective for older roofs? The quoted
price seemed potentially attractive compared to a new shake roof, but
not exactly cheap ($6K for 2700 sq ft). Maybe most of the value of
the "restoration" comes from the repair work?

-- Dave

Is the roof leaking? Tom

dpb September 11th 07 07:10 PM

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installat...aintenance.htm

http://www.cedarbureau.org/faq/maintenance.htm

[email protected] September 12th 07 04:37 AM

Cedar shake roof treatments?

tom wrote:

Is the roof leaking? Tom

Not as far as I can tell. But there's quite a bit of visible damage
(split/decayed shakes, etc). I'm not really clear on how one tells
when a shake roof is at the end of its useful life. When we bought
the house a year ago, the roof inspection report indicated that the
roof had 1-2 years left. Another inspector maybe 6 months ago said
the same thing. We had minor repairs done at that time.

-- Dave