DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Power washer with Honda engine won't start. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/213323-power-washer-honda-engine-wont-start.html)

TheRegit September 4th 07 10:30 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

I have a Honda power washer that I am using to prepare my home for
painting. This weekend I was using it quite a bit without problem. I
accidentally let the engine run out of gas the it stopped. I refilled
the tank with gas and tried to start it but it wouldn't do anything.
I thought the problem was that the fuel lines didn't have any gas in
them so it had nothing to ignite so I went and bought some ether spray
and sprayed it into the air intake. After doing this two times the
engine started up like it should and I thought the problem was
solved. However after using it for about a half an hour I turned it
off to take my son inside, when I returned it wouldn't start again.
Since then even the Ether spray hasn't helped. I checked the spark
plug and that looks fine. The wierd thing is that the pull start is
all of a sudden really hard to pull. When it was working fine it
pulled rather easily, but now it is almost as if the engine is locked
up.

I really have no experience with engine's what-so-ever so I am not
quite sure what to do. One of my friends that worked on the grounds
crew at a golf course suggested the ether spray and my neighbor
checked the spark plug and said it looked good.

Any ideas of things to try?

Greg September 5th 07 03:47 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

I have a honda pressure washer, second one, the first one I got, right out
of box, did just like your's, after 1/2 hour of running it was hard to pull,
wouldn't start, I checked oil before and after, before I ran it, nice and
new and clean, after it was silver, something got eaten up in there, took it
back, they gave me a new one, it's run about 10 times now with no problem.

oups.com...

[email protected] September 6th 07 06:16 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

Trash it and get an electric one instead. Duh.

TheRegit September 24th 07 12:44 AM

On Sep 6, 12:16 pm, wrote:
Trash it and get an electric one instead. Duh.

Okay so this shows how much I don't know about Power Washers. I took
the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person
take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,
pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out
that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and
release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to
start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a
complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great
ever sense.

MEWICKER July 3rd 13 07:46 AM

replying to TheRegit, MEWICKER wrote:
dhcbsmith wrote:

Okay so this shows how much I don't know about Power Washers. I took
the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person
take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,
pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out
that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and
release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to
start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a
complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great
ever sense.

Perfect! This problem has been happening to us for years, and we knew if
we let the thing sit, it would eventually start. Many thanks.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rt-247263-.htm

Tony Hwang July 3rd 13 02:49 PM

dhcbsmith wrote:

Okay so this shows how much I don't know about Power Washers. I took
the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person
take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,
pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out
that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and
release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to
start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a
complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great
ever sense.

Perfect! This problem has been happening to us for years, and we knew if
we let the thing sit, it would eventually start. Many thanks.

Hi,
Wondering nothing mentioned in the owner's manual?

[email protected][_2_] July 3rd 13 02:56 PM

dhcbsmith wrote:

Okay so this shows how much I don't know about Power Washers. I took

the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person

take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,

pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out

that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and

release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to

start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a

complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great

ever sense.

Perfect! This problem has been happening to us for years, and we knew if

we let the thing sit, it would eventually start. Many thanks.

I have an electric one that will sometimes trip the breaker
if I try to start it without the spray trigger valve open.
I've gotten used to starting it that way. Guess the same
principle applies to gas.

Home Guy July 3rd 13 03:45 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

MEWICKER wrote:

(...)

I'm not seeing the original (first) post by dhcbsmith.

When was it posted?

posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com...

Why can't you people use a real newsreader/news-server?

Stormin Mormon[_9_] July 3rd 13 04:07 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

Parasites, trying to make it look like they have
readers and subscribers?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Ralph Mowery July 3rd 13 04:21 PM

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person
take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,
pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out
that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and
release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to
start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a
complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great
ever sense.

Perfect! This problem has been happening to us for years, and we knew if
we let the thing sit, it would eventually start. Many thanks.

Hi,
Wondering nothing mentioned in the owner's manual?

I looked in my manual and it says to start it with the trigger lock on.
That keeps the trigger from being pulled.

Then it mentions after you run it or if it tries to start and doesn't, to
pull the trigger and release the pressure before restarting.. It is in just
the regular print. One would think this would be in bold print because it
is an important point. Then it mentions something about if you don't
releaes the pressure, it could cause the motor to kick back.

Bob F July 4th 13 12:33 AM

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Parasites, trying to make it look like they have
readers and subscribers?
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.

posted from

http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rt-247263-.htm

using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

to home and garden related groups

And just a tiny bit better than top-posters.

ShaZee June 10th 14 04:44 AM

replying to TheRegit, ShaZee wrote:
dhcbsmith wrote:

Okay so this shows how much I don't know about Power Washers. I took
the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person
take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,
pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out
that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and
release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to
start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a
complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great
ever sense.

Thanks for that tip. My power washer wouldn't start. Tried holding the
nozzle down and it started right up. Thanks!

Tony Hwang June 10th 14 05:51 AM

dhcbsmith wrote:

Okay so this shows how much I don't know about Power Washers. I took
the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person
take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,
pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out
that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and
release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to
start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a
complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great
ever sense.

Thanks for that tip. My power washer wouldn't start. Tried holding the
nozzle down and it started right up. Thanks!

Hi,
Did not read the owwner's manual? Lazy?, LOL!

Oren[_2_] June 10th 14 06:36 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 21:51:46 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Okay so this shows how much I don't know about Power Washers. I took
the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person
take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,
pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out
that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and
release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to
start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a
complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great
ever sense.

Thanks for that tip. My power washer wouldn't start. Tried holding the
nozzle down and it started right up. Thanks!

Hi,
Did not read the owwner's manual? Lazy?, LOL!

I start my gas PW without pulling the trigger on the wand. Starts just
fine. I do turn the water on at the hose bib so not to heat the pump.

[email protected] April 24th 15 02:52 AM

dhcbsmith wrote:

Okay so this shows how much I don't know about Power Washers. I took
the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person
take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,
pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out
that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and
release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to
start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a
complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great
ever sense.

Thanks for that tip. My power washer wouldn't start. Tried holding the
nozzle down and it started right up. Thanks!

Hi,
Did not read the owwner's manual? Lazy?, LOL!

I bought it used, no manual

Joe R[_3_] June 25th 15 08:44 PM

replying to Ralph Mowery , Joe R wrote:
rmowery28146 wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
I looked in my manual and it says to start it with the trigger lock on.
That keeps the trigger from being pulled.
Then it mentions after you run it or if it tries to start and doesn't, to
pull the trigger and release the pressure before restarting.. It is in

just

the regular print. One would think this would be in bold print because it

is an important point. Then it mentions something about if you don't
releaes the pressure, it could cause the motor to kick back.

Wow! I just had this same issue. I borrowed this unit from my sister and
thought I had broken it in 10 minutes.

One pull of the trigger and it started right up again. Before that, it was
as if the pull cord was tangled. I guess it was just too much compression
in the cylinder.

Well...Mucho Thankso!!

Joe Rowan

Sandy V July 18th 15 06:44 PM

replying to TheRegit, Sandy V wrote:
dhcbsmith wrote:

Okay so this shows how much I don't know about Power Washers. I took
the thing to a local lawn and garden shop and had their service person
take a look at it. He checked out a few things for about 30 seconds,
pulled the pull start once and viola it started to problem. Turns out
that you can only start those things if you hold the trigger and
release the pressure that is built up in the engine. He said never to
start it without the trigger being held down. So after feeling like a
complete idiot I took his advice and the thing has been working great
ever sense.

Thank you sooooo much!

I was cleaning my deck and the same thing happened to me. First, for some
reason, maybe because I am a female with not much muscle on my arms, I
have a bit of trouble starting it - at this point, it usually pulls back
real fast, bruises my fingers and if my leg is on the machine to keep it
from flipping, it bruises my ankle too! That said, I have to ask my son to
come out each time to start it for me. So if you have any fix for the cord
pulling back fast let me know. But after one day of washing the deck, the
next morning I called him to start it up. His arms are huge - he just
pulls once usually and it starts. Well the machine cord gave him some
trouble. Was extremely hard to pull. He tried several times before having
to give up. I went it to look it up on the internet and saw your solution.
We did what you said and it started on the first pull. Amazing - thanks
for this post that I somehow found almost immediately. You saved hours of
my time!

Seriously, if there is a fix for thequick recoil that almost pulls me back
into the machine, let me know. Am I just to weak to pull it hard enough?

Fred McKenzie July 18th 15 07:36 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

In article s.com,
Sandy V wrote:

Seriously, if there is a fix for thequick recoil that almost pulls me back
into the machine, let me know. Am I just to weak to pull it hard enough?

Sandy-

I had a small generator that did the same thing. It turned out that the
engine's compression release mechanism was not working.

The compression release is a part in the engine that holds a valve
partially open to make it easier to start. Once the engine begins
rotating, centrifugal force moves the mechanism out of the way so the
valve closes to allow full compression.

It is possible that the mechanism is stuck due to sludge in the oil.
Changing oil might help. If yours is broken, repair may involve
disassembling the engine. I had the local dealer repair mine. It was
not cheap, but much less than a new generator.

One thing you can try, is to slowly pull the starter rope until you feel
resistance due to the compression. Let the rope move back in so you
have its full length available. Then give it a strong pull.

Fred

[email protected] August 23rd 15 06:04 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

thanks for your post. it really saved the day for us since we rented the PW on Saturday and Sunday they are closed. Wouldn't get the job done w/out you!!!

Leo[_5_] March 10th 16 09:44 PM

replying to Ralph Mowery , Leo wrote:
rmowery28146 wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
I looked in my manual and it says to start it with the trigger lock on.
That keeps the trigger from being pulled.
Then it mentions after you run it or if it tries to start and doesn't, to
pull the trigger and release the pressure before restarting.. It is in

just

the regular print. One would think this would be in bold print because it

is an important point. Then it mentions something about if you don't
releaes the pressure, it could cause the motor to kick back.

Thank you. That was my problem. Before I noticed your post I ordered a
$27.00 part that some one else had told me had gone bad. Now I stock with
that part.

[email protected] April 8th 16 12:18 AM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

Amazing advice. I am not a mechanic and I couldn't restart my powerwasher that has a Honda GC160 5.0 engine. It ran out of gas. After refueling, after first pull rope would not pull again. Like it was bound up somehow. After reviewing your post Viola! Pulled the release lever on the wand that in turn released the pressure and it started. Thank you very much for the tip. Your suggestion was not in my manual. Dave

David Sibley May 30th 16 01:44 AM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, David Sibley wrote:
I bought a new power washer and this happened with the first start. The
suggestion to pull in the trigger on the pressure wand was the key. Started
right up as soon as I did this.

Wade Garrett May 30th 16 02:02 AM

On 5/29/16 7:44 PM, David Sibley wrote:
replying to TheRegit, David Sibley wrote:
I bought a new power washer and this happened with the first start. The
suggestion to pull in the trigger on the pressure wand was the key. Started
right up as soon as I did this.

Those Honda engines have a gas tank cut-off valve. Make sure the gas is
open.

--
With all this €śgun control€ť talk, I havent heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists€” just from law

wjc1 September 23rd 16 10:44 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to MEWICKER, wjc1 wrote:
I had the same problem and this fixed it as well. no water supply attached,
finger o the trigger and it started right up.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rt-247263-.htm

gretchen October 6th 16 12:44 AM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, gretchen wrote:
Thank you for that most helpful info!!

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rt-247263-.htm

Rick[_31_] October 30th 16 03:44 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to Fred McKenzie, Rick wrote:
They also make an item called an "unloader" that reduces the pressure so that
it is easier to pull start.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rt-247263-.htm

[email protected] October 30th 16 09:11 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 14:44:01 +0000, Rick
m wrote:

replying to Fred McKenzie, Rick wrote:
They also make an item called an "unloader" that reduces the pressure so that
it is easier to pull start.

Pull trigger and hold before starting

Advocate0426 May 23rd 17 10:44 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, Advocate0426 wrote:
Awesome and take you very much for posting this... I thought I broke my
friends washer.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

Paul[_51_] May 26th 17 08:14 AM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, Paul wrote:
Thank you so much for this. I was having the same trouble and I took your
advice and now the engine starts like a champ.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

Charlie[_18_] June 27th 17 07:44 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, Charlie wrote:
I realize this post is almost 10 years old, but I at least wanted to try and
thank you for saving me significant time and money! I borrowed a pressure
washer, and it was running fine till it wouldn't pull start. I was about to
load it into the car and go to the repair shop when I decided to go to the
internet. I read your post, released the pressure by pulling the trigger on
the wand, and it started right up. Thanks again!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

Nick Chotta July 3rd 17 09:14 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, Nick Chotta wrote:
You are not an idiot you are awesome! Honda is the idiot for not putting this
somewhere in the manual!!!THANKS!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

Tom[_61_] October 2nd 17 10:14 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, Tom wrote:
This worked great. Had it running....then stopped it to eat lunch.....then it
would not restart. Had been trying to start it for an hour before I read this
suggestion. Yeah!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

Kris October 21st 17 02:14 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, Kris wrote:
How to release the pressure

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

trader_4 October 21st 17 03:23 PM

On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 8:14:08 AM UTC-4, Kris wrote:
replying to TheRegit, Kris wrote:
How to release the pressure

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

Pull the trigger on the spray handle, I would expect.

Brian Phillips November 2nd 17 08:44 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, Brian Phillips wrote:
Dude thank you so much for posting this. I was about to pick up my powerwasher
and throw it in the garbage can I pulled on the trigger inserted up after
about a hundred f****** polls thank you very much you're mine now my favorite
person

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= November 4th 17 10:02 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

Brian Phillips posted for all of us...

replying to TheRegit, Brian Phillips wrote:
Dude thank you so much for posting this. I was about to pick up my powerwasher
and throw it in the garbage can I pulled on the trigger inserted up after
about a hundred f****** polls thank you very much you're mine now my favorite
person

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

Get a room...

--
Tekkie

Jacqueline April 26th 18 02:44 AM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, Jacqueline wrote:
Thank you for posting this!!! We've been just letting it sit for hours before
a cold restart it...feeling very silly right about now, but so grateful for
your post!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm

Uncle Monster[_2_] April 26th 18 05:46 AM

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 7:44:06 PM UTC-5, Jacqueline wrote:
replying to TheRegit, Jacqueline wrote:
Thank you for posting this!!! We've been just letting it sit for hours before
a cold restart it...feeling very silly right about now, but so grateful for
your post!
--

You're too late. 10 years ago, TheRegit was abducted by giant mutant gerbils from outer space. It's feared the giant mutant outer space gerbils used him as a sex toy before they ate him. The Air Force fighter jets were unable to catch up with the flying saucer. It was a tragic loss for his family. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

Robot July 14th 18 09:44 PM

Power washer with Honda engine won't start.

replying to TheRegit, Robot wrote:
WOW, that just happened to me and your solution worked perfectly. Thank you
for posting!!!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...rt-247263-.htm