Posted to alt.home.repair

Default top of door ball bearing spring

I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.

At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing
that keeps the door shut
when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.

Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a
replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I don't know what they are called but lowes and home depot sells them.

There are 2 qualities.... junk and decent ones. My builder put in junk.

You can recognize junk because the height adjustment also affects the
spring pressure which is stupid.

Look for the ones where when you adjust the height the spring pressure
doesn't change. Hard to explain but you will see the difference if you find
them. The junk were generic brand from China, the others were a real name
brand of some sort. They fit in the same holes.

The reason the spring pressure issue is important is that if you need the
cheap ones adjusted low the spring is completely compacted and is unhappy
and evenutually breaks the door stop.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.

At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing
that keeps the door shut
when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.

Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a
replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 8:18 pm, "Art" wrote:
I don't know what they are called but lowes and home depot sells them.

There are 2 qualities.... junk and decent ones. My builder put in junk.

You can recognize junk because the height adjustment also affects the
spring pressure which is stupid.

Look for the ones where when you adjust the height the spring pressure
doesn't change. Hard to explain but you will see the difference if you find
them. The junk were generic brand from China, the others were a real name
brand of some sort. They fit in the same holes.

The reason the spring pressure issue is important is that if you need the
cheap ones adjusted low the spring is completely compacted and is unhappy
and evenutually breaks the door stop.

Thanks - sounds like I had the cheap ones as my wife opened the door
and the ball bearing popped out - I tried to fix it but the ball
bearing keeps
coming out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 1, 8:18 pm, "Art" wrote:
[...]

You might be able to fix it temporarily by bending some of the sheet metal
but it will break again. Buy one of the good ones instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 1, 2007 7:54:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.

At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing
that keeps the door shut
when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.

Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a
replacement.

Use a pair of pliers to slightly narrow the opening on the top (only) of the round cylindrical fitting that screws into housing that's fixed in the top of the door. You don't want to pinch the bottom as then it won't screw back into the door and or the ball won't fit back into fitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Saturday, September 1, 2007 7:54:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.

At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing
that keeps the door shut
when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.

Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a
replacement.

It's called a "ball catch" and any big box or hardware store will have it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/2014 6:22 AM, The Streets wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, September 1, 2007 7:54:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I don't know what this is but wondering if anybody knows.

At the top of my closet doors on each door there is a ball bearing
that keeps the door shut
when you close it. Below the ball bearing in the door is a spring.

Does anybody know what this is called and where I can get a
replacement.

It's called a "ball catch" and any big box or hardware store will have it.

The 2007 guy, his house burned down and he now lives
in a nursing home, account of 85% second and third
degree burns. But, I'm sure his estate still needs
ball catches. He can put some in the ashes at the
foundation of his house.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 25, 2014 7:19:31 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The 2007 guy, his house burned down and he now lives

in a nursing home, account of 85% second and third

degree burns. But, I'm sure his estate still needs

ball catches. He can put some in the ashes at the

foundation of his house.

Such a positive person this day...hope your institution is treating you well!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ericmv17, tom4 wrote:
Hello Eric. I wish I had found your method earlier. I had to make a few
mistakes before I found out the same thing. Surely your method is also the
one the inventor/manufacturer of the ball catch figured out, to keep the ball
from flying out.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ng-246597-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair