DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Power vent gas water heaters - problems/opinions (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/212748-power-vent-gas-water-heaters-problems-opinions.html)

Bob F August 30th 07 04:13 PM

Power vent gas water heaters - problems/opinions

I am considering installing a power vent gas water heater as part of a
changeover from electric. I know they tend to be noisy, but am wondering about
people's experience with them for dependability and cost effectiveness. The
alternative would be non-powered direct vent, but I would have to core through a
cement wall to install it, and move a main water pipe to put it where the
origional is. Also, are different brands better than others?

Bob F

Speedy Jim August 30th 07 09:54 PM

Bob F wrote:
I am considering installing a power vent gas water heater as part of a
changeover from electric. I know they tend to be noisy, but am wondering about
people's experience with them for dependability and cost effectiveness. The
alternative would be non-powered direct vent, but I would have to core through a
cement wall to install it, and move a main water pipe to put it where the
origional is. Also, are different brands better than others?

Bob F

FWIW, I put in a Rheem 6 years ago and it's been troublefree.
Exhaust noise can be a problem, depending on where it is.
I put a clock timer on the heater so it won't run during
sleeping hours. That also prevents the heater running for
about 12 hours of the day which may save some tiny amount
of ebergy.

Jim

Bob F August 30th 07 11:29 PM

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
I am considering installing a power vent gas water heater as part of a
changeover from electric. I know they tend to be noisy, but am wondering
about people's experience with them for dependability and cost effectiveness.
The alternative would be non-powered direct vent, but I would have to core
through a cement wall to install it, and move a main water pipe to put it
where the origional is. Also, are different brands better than others?

Bob F

FWIW, I put in a Rheem 6 years ago and it's been troublefree.
Exhaust noise can be a problem, depending on where it is.
I put a clock timer on the heater so it won't run during
sleeping hours. That also prevents the heater running for
about 12 hours of the day which may save some tiny amount
of ebergy.

Is it the exhaust noise (Perhaps coming in a window) that is annoying, or the
noise of the fan inside the house?

Bob

Jim

Speedy Jim August 30th 07 11:49 PM

Bob F wrote:
"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Bob F wrote:

[...]

I found the exhaust noticeable though there is some
noise in the vicinity of the fan (basement).
There is also some "rumble" coming from the length
of exhaust pipe (PVC). I suspect the rumble is
combustion-related.

Jim