Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I heat bend a one inch grey plastic electrical 90 degree bend?

Have 90 degree one inch diam. grey plastic tubing 90 deg. bend.

Want to bend it some more; hopefully to 180 degrees (or close to that)
to make shape of a 'J'.

Any suggestions. Heat gun? Flame? Oven? Also will it tend to flatten
as metal pipe does when bent further?

If this doesn't work could I use something else; that newer PEX water
piping for example?

Help/advice appreciated. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have 90 degree one inch diam. grey plastic tubing 90 deg. bend.

Want to bend it some more; hopefully to 180 degrees (or close to that)
to make shape of a 'J'.

Any suggestions. Heat gun? Flame? Oven? Also will it tend to flatten
as metal pipe does when bent further?

If this doesn't work could I use something else; that newer PEX water
piping for example?

Help/advice appreciated. TIA

fill with sand and cap the ends before bending to prevent collapse.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Use a heat gun, spread the heat around until it starts to get limp then you
can bend it without collapsing.

"terry" wrote in message
ups.com...
Have 90 degree one inch diam. grey plastic tubing 90 deg. bend.

Want to bend it some more; hopefully to 180 degrees (or close to that)
to make shape of a 'J'.

Any suggestions. Heat gun? Flame? Oven? Also will it tend to flatten
as metal pipe does when bent further?

If this doesn't work could I use something else; that newer PEX water
piping for example?

Help/advice appreciated. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
Have 90 degree one inch diam. grey plastic tubing 90 deg. bend.

Want to bend it some more; hopefully to 180 degrees (or close to that)
to make shape of a 'J'.

Any suggestions. Heat gun? Flame? Oven? Also will it tend to flatten
as metal pipe does when bent further?

If this doesn't work could I use something else; that newer PEX water
piping for example?

Help/advice appreciated. TIA

can't you buy an elbow at the local HW store?

Clark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 7:00 pm, "Clark" wrote:
terry wrote:
Have 90 degree one inch diam. grey plastic tubing 90 deg. bend.

Want to bend it some more; hopefully to 180 degrees (or close to that)
to make shape of a 'J'.

Any suggestions. Heat gun? Flame? Oven? Also will it tend to flatten
as metal pipe does when bent further?

If this doesn't work could I use something else; that newer PEX water
piping for example?

Help/advice appreciated. TIA

can't you buy an elbow at the local HW store?

Clark

Not quite sure what you mean by an elbow?
This 90 degree is at moment about 9 inches across its outer tips.
If it can bend some more the tips will come in to perhaps less than 5
inches and perhaps be almost parallel at 180 degrees input to output
to each other Two 90s would be way too big!.
Just imagine a large J like this.

In
x Out
x x
x x
x x
x x --------- additional bending.

5"

Thanks for the comments/advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:38:58 -0700, terry wrote:

Have 90 degree one inch diam. grey plastic tubing 90 deg. bend.

Want to bend it some more; hopefully to 180 degrees (or close to that)
to make shape of a 'J'.

Any suggestions. Heat gun? Flame? Oven? Also will it tend to flatten
as metal pipe does when bent further?

If this doesn't work could I use something else; that newer PEX water
piping for example?

Help/advice appreciated. TIA

Not sure if you can, but I have.

I used a Milwaukee heat gun on medium setting. As soon as the pipe
softens, I then bent it to the desired angle and held it in that position
until set. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
On Aug 29, 7:00 pm, "Clark" wrote:
terry wrote:
[...]

gotcha, good luck, last time I tried that trick I did not do as well as I
wanted.
but I did not try that sand thing either.

Clark

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Telstra" wrote in message
A 180 degree return bend as clark has stated can be
formed by two 90 degee elbows.

Yes, but it may or may not work with the radius he needs, whatever that is.

Not enough info to say it will work in either case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 4:19 pm, terry wrote:
On Aug 29, 7:00 pm, "Clark" wrote:

terry wrote:
[...]

OK, I gotta ask, why would you want to do this?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 1:46 am, Big_Jake wrote:

OK, I gotta ask, why would you want to do this?

Knew somebody would eventually ask!
It's an attempt to make a compact J bend to go through the deck of
sailboat near the bottom of the mast through which to take the wires
from the mast into the boat; where they will connect to a terminal
strip.
On another group we have previously discussed which lights are
required under international regulations and where they must be
located on the mast while a) Sailing b) Motoring c) At anchor.
Also the number of conductors needed etc. (About 6 plus a small coax
for masthead VHF radio whip).
The decision, so far, is to not use plugs/connectors/sockets which in
the past ** have either corroded badly (marine conditions) or being
deck mounted have allowed water to get through them into the deck
laminate. Then during the winter the water froze and burst the deck!
(Now repaired).
Each winter for storage the mast is removed and wires disconnected.
The fibreglass boat was made in the 1970s. We have owned it for some
20 years. Overall the project is a major refurbishing including
rewiring the whole boat after some 15 years laid up next to our house.
At least that makes it easier to work on, have AC power available and
access to all ones bits and pieces and tools.
Fixing up boats at a marina 25 miles away can cause one to drive back
home to pick up a forgotten SS bolt or one particular but essential
tool. (Sounds a bit like plumbers who forget their tools eh?)
** The problem started when a previous owner had a new mast installed
following a dis-masting. Whoever did so drilled holes and mounted two
deck sockets that allowed water to get into the deck structure. That
frozen water burst the deck around base of the mast.
Lots'a work might eventually get it in the water again!
Thanks for the question and the advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 1:38 pm, terry wrote:
Have 90 degree one inch diam. grey plastic tubing 90 deg. bend.

Want to bend it some more; hopefully to 180 degrees (or close to that)
to make shape of a 'J'.

Any suggestions. Heat gun? Flame? Oven? Also will it tend to flatten
as metal pipe does when bent further?

If this doesn't work could I use something else; that newer PEX water
piping for example?

Help/advice appreciated. TIA

Back in the early days of M.E.N. (Mother Earth News), they had an
article on that. Sand and capped, then immersed in hot antifreeze. I
guess the antifreeze allowed a higher temperature.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

terry wrote:
On Aug 30, 1:46 am, Big_Jake wrote:
OK, I gotta ask, why would you want to do this?

Knew somebody would eventually ask!
It's an attempt to make a compact J bend to go through the deck of
sailboat near the bottom of the mast through which to take the wires
from the mast into the boat; where they will connect to a terminal
strip.

If you get the bend, how you going to do the pull? Sounds iffy...

I'm thinking in terms of a watertight access cover w/ rear entrance on
one end and 90 on the other? Don't know if can find one w/ both
entrance/exit as rear or not...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Telstra" wrote in message
A 180 degree return bend as clark has stated can be
formed by two 90 degee elbows.

Yes, but it may or may not work with the radius he needs, whatever that is.

Use 2 90 deg elbows of white PVC which is a much tighter bend. That's
what I have been using on my roof for TV etc wiring for 30 years

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
[...]

I am guessing that you have an aluminum mast stepped on deck. Keel
stepped masts would present a different problem, as would a wood mast.

I think what you are considering will be a tripping hazard on deck, and
a nightmare when you try to step or unstep the mast, and would require a
hole in the mast to get the wires out to the fitting. The deck stepped
masts I have seen all have some provision for disconnecting the wiring
when stepping or unstepping the mast, and none includes threading a
handful of wires, even assuming you have no terminals on them, through a
tube.

The best solution (and simplest) I have seen is to have a nipple, or
short length of tubing through the deck and stepping plate, and that
(well sealed, certainly) extends about four or six inches up into the
mast. The wires are routed through this permanently, and some sort of
connectors (often those used on trailers) are then affixed to the wires,
with the matching connector affixed to the wires running up the inside
of the mast. Note that when these connectors are fastened, they will be
inside the mast, and fairly well protected from the weather; you would
have to take 4 or six inches of water over the deck and stepping plate
to have any leakage through the nipple, and since the nipple extends
through the deck, the deck would be undamaged and the worst you would
have would be a puddle running into the bilge. Leave enough play in the
wires so that when the mast is stepped, you can reach under it to get to
the connectors

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to terry :

Any suggestions. Heat gun? Flame? Oven? Also will it tend to flatten
as metal pipe does when bent further?

I've bent grey PVC up to 2" without "proper" tools. At smaller sizes,
a heat gun alone will do the trick. At larger sizes, add a helper and a
stove top is useful ;-)

I heat it slowly, so I can adjust what bends when, and thereby avoid
having the tube flatten. Takes longer.

With larger sizes, the stove is useful to avoid cooling as you move the
gun around, and you want two hands on the pipe.

If you pour on the heat faster and soften the tube quickly and over
a wide area, something like the sand (or tube bender "spring")
method is required.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 4:38 pm, terry wrote:
Have 90 degree one inch diam. grey plastic tubing 90 deg. bend.

Want to bend it some more; hopefully to 180 degrees (or close to that)
to make shape of a 'J'.

Any suggestions. Heat gun? Flame? Oven? Also will it tend to flatten
as metal pipe does when bent further?

If this doesn't work could I use something else; that newer PEX water
piping for example?

Help/advice appreciated. TIA

They sell a lot of pre formed fittings. Google LB, LR, LL.

Also you can put the pipe in the oven. It helps to have water handy.
Get the pipe warm, then dry fit it in place and douse with water.