DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Deck, standing water (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/212448-deck-standing-water.html)

Joe Bloggs[_2_] August 27th 07 05:25 PM

Deck, standing water

We have a deck, with poor drainage in a few spots (standing water).

Normally, we only get about 24 inches a year here,
if that, (colorado foothills), and the standing water evaporates
quickly.

Not so much, this year,as we've had more rain than usual.

This deck is largely flat, not tilted slightly downward, as
is common for most porches I've seen. In general the water drains out
between the timbers (so to speak), except in the problem areas.

The small spacing btw timers is non-existent at these areas
clogged w/ silt, and or the wood has swolled them shut.
(Not so concidentally, these are same spots that typically have
6-12 feet of snow drifts on for most of 6 months ...)

Any suggestions for reopening the spaces btw timbers?

A broad flat putty spatula almost works
(but not really, too slow/cumbersome)

should I consider using a saw blade, or a pressure washer, or
something else?

JoeSpareBedroom August 27th 07 06:27 PM

Deck, standing water

"Joe Bloggs" wrote in message

[...]

I wonder about using a skinny bit on a router to make the gaps wider. Use
long strips of wood placed appropriately for guiding the router. Or, a sheet
of plywood that you sit on as you work, so the wood doesn't shift.

Of course, the simplest idea would be to just bore some holes. Make them big
enough for a toothbrush to get into, so you can poke/scrub out any debris
that clogs them from time to time.

Rudy August 28th 07 05:49 AM

Deck, standing water

Undo the screws and put them back down again with a bigger space between
them