DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   toilet: i am about to replace the wax ring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/212402-toilet-i-am-about-replace-wax-ring.html)

samster August 27th 07 06:18 AM

toilet: i am about to replace the wax ring

toilet i installed two years ago ... all was well until recently when I
noticed some water seeping out underneath.

I am thinking its gotta be the wax ring from the toilet being moved around
a little.

i have VOWED that when I work on it tommorow I am going to use a waxless
ring (i bought one on home depot a long time ago but never installed it
and have been kicking myself since)

anyone have experiences installing the waxless rings?

jim August 27th 07 12:08 PM

On Aug 27, 12:18 am, samster wrote:
toilet i installed two years ago ... all was well until recently when I
noticed some water seeping out underneath.

I am thinking its gotta be the wax ring from the toilet being moved around
a little.

i have VOWED that when I work on it tommorow I am going to use a waxless
ring (i bought one on home depot a long time ago but never installed it
and have been kicking myself since)

anyone have experiences installing the waxless rings?

They are good but not as good as a sleeved wax ring the ones with the
sleeve in the middle. Have found that foam rings compress and cause
leaks later. Also is this in a house with cast Iron plunbing or
abs ,there can be many reasons why it would leak.

Harry K August 27th 07 03:50 PM

On Aug 26, 10:18 pm, samster wrote:
toilet i installed two years ago ... all was well until recently when I
noticed some water seeping out underneath.

I am thinking its gotta be the wax ring from the toilet being moved around
a little.

i have VOWED that when I work on it tommorow I am going to use a waxless
ring (i bought one on home depot a long time ago but never installed it
and have been kicking myself since)

anyone have experiences installing the waxless rings?

Yes, and I'll never go back to the wax type. Mine was the plastic one
with the flexible flanges by Fernco. If yours is that old, I would
toss it and get a new one, they are only a few bucks and you don't
want that adhesive to fail..

Harry K

Al Bundy August 28th 07 02:33 AM

toilet: i am about to replace the wax ring

samster wrote in
:

toilet i installed two years ago ... all was well until recently when
I noticed some water seeping out underneath.

I am thinking its gotta be the wax ring from the toilet being moved
around a little.

i have VOWED that when I work on it tommorow I am going to use a
waxless ring (i bought one on home depot a long time ago but never
installed it and have been kicking myself since)

anyone have experiences installing the waxless rings?

....and you are sure it's not because you had some very humid warm days?