Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Testing a CO detector

They have a convenient spray that allows you to test the sensor
elements of a smoke detector
http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_yl...+detector&did=

(most alarms have no way to test the sensors when you press the test
button)

Is there a similar aerosol or method of thoroughly testing a CO
detector?
I couldn't find anything from a web search

Thanks

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
oups.com...
They have a convenient spray that allows you to test the sensor
elements of a smoke detector

http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_yl...Ft0A;_ylu=X3oD
MTBhNjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=%22smoke+check%22+detector&did=

(most alarms have no way to test the sensors when you press the test
button)

Is there a similar aerosol or method of thoroughly testing a CO
detector?
I couldn't find anything from a web search

Thanks

CO test gas...

http://tinyurl.com/2du2pe

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
They have a convenient spray that allows you to test the sensor
elements of a smoke detector

I have been a proponent for years of NEVER EVER buying CO detectors that are
not the digital variety. Those who give you the current or past levels of
CO in a digital format. If it's a beep/no beep type and the danger zone is
400 (pick a number), and you only get to 399, it doesn't go off. I like to
know if there's CO present at all, and if it is just a little, or
approaching the beep level.

Just MHO, YMMV.

Steve

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:
They have a convenient spray that allows you to test the sensor
elements of a smoke detector
http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_yl...+detector&did=

(most alarms have no way to test the sensors when you press the test
button)

Is there a similar aerosol or method of thoroughly testing a CO
detector?
I couldn't find anything from a web search

Thanks

Johnstone Supply sells a aerosol to test detectors.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:40:04 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

Ya, take it in the garage (with the doors open) and start your push mower.
It should go off pretty quick. Those small engines really put it out..

steve

I forget what brand I have -- I can check -- but when I called them
with a question I asked about putting it near the furnace to check if
it was working and the woman on the phone said not to, that it would
overload and ruin the sensor, I think.

wrote in message
roups.com...
They have a convenient spray that allows you to test the sensor
elements of a smoke detector
http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_yl...+detector&did=

(most alarms have no way to test the sensors when you press the test
button)

Is there a similar aerosol or method of thoroughly testing a CO
detector?
I couldn't find anything from a web search

Thanks

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Moe Jones" wrote:

wrote:
They have a convenient spray that allows you to test the sensor
elements of a smoke detector
http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_yl...Ft0A;_ylu=X3oD
MTBhNjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=%22smoke+check%22+detector&did=

(most alarms have no way to test the sensors when you press the test
button)

Is there a similar aerosol or method of thoroughly testing a CO
detector?
I couldn't find anything from a web search

Thanks

Johnstone Supply sells a aerosol to test detectors.

I doubt that a CO detector owner would be a smoker, but would a puff of
cigarette smoke blown at a detector set it off?
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote:

Ya, take it in the garage (with the doors open) and start your push

mower.
It should go off pretty quick. Those small engines really put it out..

steve

I forget what brand I have -- I can check -- but when I called them
with a question I asked about putting it near the furnace to check if
it was working and the woman on the phone said not to, that it would
overload and ruin the sensor, I think.

What a Bimbo... she must have thought you were going to stick it in the flu.
LOL

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:12:55 -0400 from mm :
I forget what brand I have -- I can check -- but when I called them
with a question I asked about putting it near the furnace to check if
it was working and the woman on the phone said not to, that it would
overload and ruin the sensor, I think.

If that were true, I think you'd have an urgent need to repair the
furnace.

--
"First prove what you're saying, then whine about it."
-- /The People's Court/
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

You want to buy some INCENSE and light a piece. Put it in your stove's
oven along with your detector.

(DON'T turn the oven on - DUH!)

A digital meter should definitely reflect a substantial peak after a few
minutes.

I'm not sure whether a "go-no-go" detector would trip but I suspect it
would.

If you can't find incense, put a few lite cigaretes in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Oct 30, 4:41 pm, "Cshenk" wrote:
"John Gilmer" wrote in message ..
You want to buy some INCENSE and light a piece. Put it in your stove's
oven along with your detector.

(DON'T turn the oven on - DUH!)

A digital meter should definitely reflect a substantial peak after a few
minutes.

I'm not sure whether a "go-no-go" detector would trip but I suspect it
would.

If you can't find incense, put a few lite cigaretes in.

Grin, find a friend who smokes and have them blow smoke at it. Should go
off pretty quick. Then you wont have a oven smell to deal with.

What, you don't like your mac-n-cheese to smell like patchouli?

nate

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Son of a bitch changed his E mail addy. Again. Had to do a new filter.
Pathetic loon.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Son of a bitch changed his E mail addy. Again. Had to do a new
filter. Pathetic loon.

His ISP musta terminated him. LOL!!

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ya, take it in the garage (with the doors open) and start your push

mower.
It should go off pretty quick. Those small engines really put it out..

steve

I forget what brand I have -- I can check -- but when I called them
with a question I asked about putting it near the furnace to check if
it was working and the woman on the phone said not to, that it would
overload and ruin the sensor, I think.

What a Bimbo... she must have thought you were going to stick it in the flu.
LOL

Don't underestimate the ingenuity of people. I once watched someone
stick a very sensitive CO meter probe into the exhaust pipe of a car to
"test it" even after he was told it would destroy it because the CO
concentration was probably 1,000 times the design range of the unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an entryway right near where I back my car in (no garage). I
just plug in one of the CO detectors in the entryway and run the car for
a few minutes. I get a readout very quickly.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')