Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fireplace damper

I have sold my house with a vent free gas log. The inspector says we
need a device on the damper to keep it open about 1/4-1/2". He says
it is something like a small c clamp.

Is anyone familiar with such a device? I can't find one on the
Internet. Maybe I can just get a small c clamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

arjay wrote:
I have sold my house with a vent free gas log. The inspector says we
need a device on the damper to keep it open about 1/4-1/2". He says
it is something like a small c clamp.

Is anyone familiar with such a device? I can't find one on the
Internet. Maybe I can just get a small c clamp.

I guess I would want to see the proof of his suggestion. If you have a
functioning damper, why keep it open all the time?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"arjay" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have sold my house with a vent free gas log. The inspector says we
need a device on the damper to keep it open about 1/4-1/2". He says
it is something like a small c clamp.

You say you have sold the house: so the problem
(if there is one) is not your business but must be
solved by the new owner.

Most jurisdictions have a building code that includes
provision for ventilation (that apply only to newly
built houses and is not retroactive) and a fire safety
code (that may be retroactive i.e. apply to all
structures whenever built.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

arjay wrote:
I have sold my house with a vent free gas log. The inspector says we
need a device on the damper to keep it open about 1/4-1/2". He says
it is something like a small c clamp.

Is anyone familiar with such a device? I can't find one on the
Internet. Maybe I can just get a small c clamp.

You will easily find such a thing at your local fireplace store. Its
called a "damper clamp" and if you search for that (and skip the
motorcycle hits), you'll find one. Or try searching at
"fireplacesnow.com"
The problem you really have is the definition of "vent free." You
and the inspector don't agree. The buyer can possibly waive his
"finding" or you have to fix it.

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 11:00 am, Grandpa wrote:
arjay wrote:
I have sold my house with a vent free gas log. The inspector says we
need a device on the damper to keep it open about 1/4-1/2". He says
it is something like a small c clamp.

Is anyone familiar with such a device? I can't find one on the
Internet. Maybe I can just get a small c clamp.

You will easily find such a thing at your local fireplace store. Its
called a "damper clamp" and if you search for that (and skip the
motorcycle hits), you'll find one. Or try searching at
"fireplacesnow.com"
The problem you really have is the definition of "vent free." You
and the inspector don't agree. The buyer can possibly waive his
"finding" or you have to fix it.

--
Grandpa

Thanks. That is the information I need.
The house has not yet closed and I am not willing to jeopardize a sale
in this market over a $30.00 clamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:00:52 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

arjay wrote:
I have sold my house with a vent free gas log. The inspector says we
need a device on the damper to keep it open about 1/4-1/2". He says
it is something like a small c clamp.

Is anyone familiar with such a device? I can't find one on the
Internet. Maybe I can just get a small c clamp.

You will easily find such a thing at your local fireplace store. Its
called a "damper clamp" and if you search for that (and skip the
motorcycle hits),

Which you can probably do by including -motorcycle in your search
terms.