Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumber scheme?

A retired lady friend asked me to check out a plumber's
work and estimate. Her initial problem was that a faucet
on a dressing room sink would not shut off and that
the undersink supply line cut off valve would not turn
off as well.

She was able to slow the water flow down and call a
neighbor for assistance. The neighbor shut off the main
water supply to the house and called a plumber. The
plumber replaced the two supply line cutoffs for that
sink. Cost for the service call and installing the two
cutoofs was $125, including, according to his invoice
two cutoff valves 1/2" supply, 3/8" outlet. He gave
her an estimate of $390 to replace the dual faucet
fixtures on both sinks in the dressing room.

My friend wondered if the estimate was reasonable.
I felt it was a bit high for Houston, but not ridiculous,
counting labor. But, to save her money, I told her I'd
rebuild the faucets, instead. Before going for parts,
I checked to plumber's work. He had installed cutoff
valves with 1/4" outlets! Aren't those only for
icemakers and such?

So I installed 4 cutoff valves with 3/8" outlets, four
supply lines, and four faucet stems for about $35 in parts.
The sinks work like new. I charged no labor, she
is a dear friend.

In retrospect, all that was 'really needed' was one
cutoff valve and one faucet stem. But since the
plumbing is 30 years old, I felt it better to do all
cutoffs, supply lines, and stems.

My question, I guess, is why the plumber used cutoff
valves with 1/4" outlets? All he had on truck? Wanted
to complicate things to ensure getting the additional
work? The cutoffs he used had 1/4" compression
fittings. Are these used on residential bathroom sinks
nowadays?

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lee houston" wrote in message
news
[...]

I think the price is estimate she got is reasonable. I don't why he would
1/4" supply lines and not 3/8" that pretty much the standard. Cut off valves
are called angle stops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 5:28 pm, "lee houston" wrote:

My question, I guess, is why the plumber used cutoff
valves with 1/4" outlets?

Call and ask him, but his prices don't seem out of line to me,
especially for the work he did. The faucet replacements probably
factor working on old plumbing and, I assume, the fixtures.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:28:36 GMT, "lee houston"
wrote:

My question, I guess, is why the plumber used cutoff
valves with 1/4" outlets?

Do you know what she had before?

I don't know what either size would prove, but I thought I'd ask.

All he had on truck? Wanted
to complicate things to ensure getting the additional
work? The cutoffs he used had 1/4" compression
fittings. Are these used on residential bathroom sinks
nowadays?

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lee houston" wrote in newsW4wi.33213
:

[...]

Consider you had no skilled labor costs, no truck repair costs, vehicle
insurance costs, fuel costs, inventory costs, liability insurance costs,
medical insurance costs, retirement plan costs, etc., etc., ...you get
the picture.

I'm not nor never have been in business but I realize these are reality.

new color scheme velvet_storm1 Home Repair 1 November 7th 06 11:41 PM
Conservatory CH Scheme tonkski UK diy 2 July 8th 06 09:37 AM
New scheme by BORGs? Renata Woodworking 41 June 9th 05 01:03 PM
Good Plumber or Bad Plumber? Robert Fenster Home Repair 14 June 2nd 04 06:01 AM