DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Will it hold? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/210627-will-hold.html)

Walter R. August 12th 07 05:50 PM

Will it hold?

I would like to glue some 4x4 ceramic tiles (house numbers) to my entry
door. (Covering up some discolored areas.)

The door was previously coated with satin spar varnish. Will any glue hold
on the varnish, if so, what kind of glue should I use?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Don Phillipson August 12th 07 06:17 PM

Will it hold?

"Walter R." wrote in message

I would like to glue some 4x4 ceramic tiles (house numbers) to my entry
door. (Covering up some discolored areas.)

The door was previously coated with satin spar varnish. Will any glue hold
on the varnish, if so, what kind of glue should I use?

We cannot answer without more information.
Adhesive properties vary with humidity, high and
low temperatures (cf. differential rates of expansion
of ceramic and wood materials), exposure to rain
(whether ice or rain can build up on the top edge
of the tile and pentrate behind it (and so on.)

The simplest way to attach tile to wood is usually
to place the tile in a wooden frame that is screwed
to the wood.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Chuck Jurgens August 12th 07 06:28 PM

Will it hold?

Liquid Nails (exterior)

HeyBub August 12th 07 08:11 PM

Will it hold?

Walter R. wrote:
I would like to glue some 4x4 ceramic tiles (house numbers) to my
entry door. (Covering up some discolored areas.)

The door was previously coated with satin spar varnish. Will any glue
hold on the varnish, if so, what kind of glue should I use?

Can you put them in a (custom?) frame then screw the frame to the door?

dadiOH August 13th 07 12:41 PM

Will it hold?

Walter R. wrote:
I would like to glue some 4x4 ceramic tiles (house numbers) to my
entry door. (Covering up some discolored areas.)

The door was previously coated with satin spar varnish. Will any
glue hold on the varnish, if so, what kind of glue should I use?

Use a mastic or a caulking material. If needed, support with masking
tape until dry.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

[email protected] August 13th 07 04:01 PM

Will it hold?

I can't imageine that any glue would last. Can you bolt in on?

Noozer August 13th 07 04:07 PM

Will it hold?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I can't imageine that any glue would last. Can you bolt in on?

Most glues hold fine. I've never heard of a bolt used for book binding.

HeyBub August 13th 07 07:27 PM

Will it hold?

Noozer wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I can't imageine that any glue would last. Can you bolt in on?

Most glues hold fine. I've never heard of a bolt used for book
binding.

Does a three-ring binder count?