Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's better than Windex?

I am a rather lazy house keeper and have not done my outside windows for
many years. Today, in order to better view the hummingbirds, I tried to
get the grime off of one of the windows. I tried SIX times with Windex
and some of the grime remains. Is there anything stronger than Windex?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

used to clean windows in a school.used 1 vinegar,1 ammonia and 1 liquid
soap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

go to the automotive section of any store and buy a "automotive" glass
cleaner. THey come under variuos names. They are super window cleaners.

Sometimes buffing with a sheet of newspaper as a final step helps also.

If its a double pane window, make sure the grime is on the outside. THeres
nothing you can do if the dirt is between the two panes of glass.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I am a rather lazy house keeper and have not done my outside windows for
many years. Today, in order to better view the hummingbirds, I tried to
get the grime off of one of the windows. I tried SIX times with Windex
and some of the grime remains. Is there anything stronger than Windex?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my experience, 409 Window & Glass Cleaner (the purple stuff) beats
Windex hands down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote:
I am a rather lazy house keeper and have not done my outside windows for
many years. Today, in order to better view the hummingbirds, I tried to
get the grime off of one of the windows. I tried SIX times with Windex
and some of the grime remains. Is there anything stronger than Windex?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I had a heck of time trying to clean my windows, until I
tried Zap! Glass and Surface Cleaner. I got it at the
Dollar General Store. It costs about $1.50 for a 32 oz.
spray bottle. It works great getting that film off of
the windows.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:59:41 GMT, "jmagerl"
wrote:

go to the automotive section of any store and buy a "automotive" glass
cleaner. THey come under variuos names. They are super window cleaners.

For me just buying and using a cheap half gallon jug of
Sudsy_Detergent_Ammonia works fine for home and auto. I've used it to
clean inside homes and vehicles with heavy smokers. It really cleans
up the road grime on a windshield. I dilute it on the strong side.

Used with a micro fiber cloth; you'll see nice clean windows.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/9/2007 1:33 PM ---MIKE--- said the following:
I am a rather lazy house keeper and have not done my outside windows for
many years. Today, in order to better view the hummingbirds, I tried to
get the grime off of one of the windows. I tried SIX times with Windex
and some of the grime remains. Is there anything stronger than Windex?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Only a woman knows what is the best window cleaner.
I recently bought a window cleaner in Sam's Club that came in an aerosol
bottle. It's called "Invisible Glass" made by Stoner (whoever that is).
My wife says it is better than Windex. I'm gonna take her word for it
(the alternative is not pleasant). :-).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 9, 3:36 pm, willshak wrote:
on 8/9/2007 1:33 PM ---MIKE--- said the following:

I am a rather lazy house keeper and have not done my outside windows for
many years. Today, in order to better view the hummingbirds, I tried to
get the grime off of one of the windows. I tried SIX times with Windex
and some of the grime remains. Is there anything stronger than Windex?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Only a woman knows what is the best window cleaner.
I recently bought a window cleaner in Sam's Club that came in an aerosol
bottle. It's called "Invisible Glass" made by Stoner (whoever that is).
My wife says it is better than Windex. I'm gonna take her word for it
(the alternative is not pleasant). :-).

She's right. Stoner stuff is easier to find at your FLAPS than a
general department store. Also, nothing beats using 0000 steel wool
with the cleaner of your choice, assuming that your windows are
uncoated glass. I've done the steel wool on many a windshield that
was previously impossible to see through; it'll get out everything
except the pits.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote in message
I am a rather lazy house keeper and have not done my outside windows
for
many years. Today, in order to better view the hummingbirds, I tried
get the grime off of one of the windows. I tried SIX times with
Windex
and some of the grime remains. Is there anything stronger than
Windex?
*******

Many years ago I took this tip out of a magazine, and I've never used
anything else. It works wonderfully.

In a bucket, combine 1/4 cup liquid diswasher detergent and 1
tablespoon Jet-Dry brand dishwasher rinse agent for every gallon of
hot water. Apply to windows with a soft brush, or terry dishtowel, and
then hose off. The water sheets up and rolls off without streaking,
and with no wiping and no drying.

It really works, you'll be amazed. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/9/2007 4:07 PM Cheri said the following:
---MIKE--- wrote in message
[...]

I'd be amazed if my wife hosed off the inside of the windows. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

---MIKE--- wrote in message
[...]

When I was a kid (b. 1937), my mother used a vinegar and water mix and
cleaned with regular newspaper. This was before any commercial window
cleaners were available. It still works pretty good.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in message ...

Many years ago I took this tip out of a magazine, and I've never

used
anything else. It works wonderfully.

In a bucket, combine 1/4 cup liquid diswasher detergent and 1
tablespoon Jet-Dry brand dishwasher rinse agent for every gallon of
hot water. Apply to windows with a soft brush, or terry dishtowel,

and
then hose off. The water sheets up and rolls off without streaking,
and with no wiping and no drying.

It really works, you'll be amazed. :-)

Cheri

I'd be amazed if my wife hosed off the inside of the windows. :-)

LOL, yes...there is that. However, it could be a great way to get the
other spouse to take over window washing duties in the future. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/9/2007 4:45 PM Cheri said the following:
willshak wrote in message ...

Many years ago I took this tip out of a magazine, and I've never

used

anything else. It works wonderfully.

In a bucket, combine 1/4 cup liquid diswasher detergent and 1
tablespoon Jet-Dry brand dishwasher rinse agent for every gallon of
hot water. Apply to windows with a soft brush, or terry dishtowel,

and

then hose off. The water sheets up and rolls off without streaking,
and with no wiping and no drying.

It really works, you'll be amazed. :-)

Cheri

I'd be amazed if my wife hosed off the inside of the windows. :-)

LOL, yes...there is that. However, it could be a great way to get the
other spouse to take over window washing duties in the future. ;-)

Cheri

I doubt that. Men would live in a cave if they had their druthers. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
Hoo, boy, I'm going to acid test some of these. I have large windows that
the previous owner let hard irrigation water dry on. White streaks. I
tried TSP, Windex, 409, ammnoia, vinegar, and nothing works. I may try
just a flat razor.

But I'm going to try some of these and see. I own the windows from hell.

Steve

i wouldn't recommend the razor. the final cleanup crew on my house used
that, and left large scratches, and since they were lawsuit-proof, i am
still looking at the scratches and cursing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote

I am a rather lazy house keeper and have not done my outside windows for
many years. Today, in order to better view the hummingbirds, I tried to
get the grime off of one of the windows. I tried SIX times with Windex
and some of the grime remains. Is there anything stronger than Windex?

When in doubt, Dow Scrubbing Bubbles. Spray it on in a thin layer
and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, wipe it down. This is not for regular
window cleaning but for a really bad case.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 14:34:29 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Hoo, boy, I'm going to acid test some of these. I have large windows that
the previous owner let hard irrigation water dry on. White streaks. I
tried TSP, Windex, 409, ammnoia, vinegar, and nothing works. I may try just
a flat razor.

But I'm going to try some of these and see. I own the windows from hell.

Steve

Vinegar will remove the hard water deposits. Now if the window/glass
are etched by the deposit of calcium - forget it.

Vinegar and elbow grease cleans the over spray of irrigation on our
vehicles. I wish desert rain would not deposit dirt on my fresh washed
ride :-))

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
Hoo, boy, I'm going to acid test some of these. I have large windows that
the previous owner let hard irrigation water dry on. White streaks. I
tried TSP, Windex, 409, ammnoia, vinegar, and nothing works. I may try
just a flat razor.

But I'm going to try some of these and see. I own the windows from hell.

Steve

Tried 'em all and found Zep Window cleaner, sold in Home Depot the best.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in message ...

Many years ago I took this tip out of a magazine, and I've never

used

anything else. It works wonderfully.

In a bucket, combine 1/4 cup liquid diswasher detergent and 1
tablespoon Jet-Dry brand dishwasher rinse agent for every gallon of
hot water. Apply to windows with a soft brush, or terry dishtowel,

and

then hose off. The water sheets up and rolls off without streaking,
and with no wiping and no drying.

It really works, you'll be amazed. :-)

Cheri

I'd be amazed if my wife hosed off the inside of the windows. :-)

LOL, yes...there is that. However, it could be a great way to get the
other spouse to take over window washing duties in the future. ;-)

Cheri

I doubt that. Men would live in a cave if they had their druthers. :-)

And drive old army surplus Jeeps, yes. Both may be easily cleaned with
a garden hose.

nate

(too lazy to frickin' DUST fercryinoutloud)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in message ...

[...]

What is a garden hose? We leave it out in the rain, or during a drought,
use urine. :-).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"---MIKE---" wrote
I am a rather lazy house keeper and have not done my outside windows for
many years. Today, in order to better view the hummingbirds, I tried to
get the grime off of one of the windows. I tried SIX times with Windex
and some of the grime remains. Is there anything stronger than Windex?

====
You've already gotten lots of good advice so I just thought I'd mention that
almost anything
is better than Windex. It's a lousy window cleaner. I can't imagine how it
has lasted so long
on the market. (I use 409 Glass & Surface cleaner--the purple stuff.
Perfection in a bottle.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I already do....

Someone else suggested ammonia and vinegar. I wouldn't mix them
in the same container. One's acid, the other is alkaline.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"willshak" wrote in message

: I'd be amazed if my wife hosed off the inside of the
windows. :-)
:
:
:
: LOL, yes...there is that. However, it could be a great way to
get the
: other spouse to take over window washing duties in the
future. ;-)
:
: Cheri
:
: I doubt that. Men would live in a cave if they had their
druthers. :-)
:
: --
:
: Bill
: In Hamptonburgh, NY
: To email, remove the double zeroes after @

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Do not mix vinegar an ammonia.... they react chemically and make a very
nasty gas.

wrote in message
used to clean windows in a school.used 1 vinegar,1 ammonia and 1 liquid
soap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
Do not mix vinegar an ammonia.... they react chemically and make a very
nasty gas.

No, that is ammonia and bleach. When mixed together, they make chloramines,
a toxic gas.

Ammonia is a base (alkaline), vinegar is an acid. There are hundreds of
recipes for cleaning solutions that contain both.

I've not tried this yet, but will soon as it is highly recommended
Window Cleaner
*******************
1/2 cup ammonia
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tbsp corn starch
1 gallon of water
This is the neatest window cleaner I have ever found. I do use the oven
cleaner to clean the window on my glass doored wood stove, but I spray it on
a cloth and then wipe the window (when the window is cold).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:03:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I already do....

Someone else suggested ammonia and vinegar. I wouldn't mix them
in the same container. One's acid, the other is alkaline.

The vinegar is a weak acid so there is no need for concern. But,
mixing these two neutralizes the pH which is not much better than
plain water. It would be more effective to clean with household
ammonia, rinse, then clean again with vinegar. I found nothing better
than household ammonia for cleaning glass. Some "films" or debris on
glass may require another cleaner. Muriatic acid is mostly HCl, a
strong acid, is highly reactive and can be hazardous.