DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   installing thin accent wall tile (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/210216-installing-thin-accent-wall-tile.html)

Tom[_2_] August 8th 07 09:26 PM

installing thin accent wall tile

I have finished my backsplash for our kitchen in 1/2 travertine tile.
There are six places where single Stainless tiles are to be inserted
into the backsplash. We finally got the SS tiles in and they are a
bit thinner than the travertine tiles, so what is the best way to
extend/back/the SS tiles out to be flush with the rest of the tiles?
The tiles will need to come out 3/16" extra from the wall. I can only
think of two options - Glue a thin backer on the tile, then glue to
wall, or Use a lot of adhesive to fill in the area behind the tile.
If I take the mega glue route, should I even bother with a notched
trowel, or just goop it in?

Thanks,
Tom

Oren August 8th 07 10:14 PM

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:26:31 -0000, Tom wrote:

I have finished my backsplash for our kitchen in 1/2 travertine tile.
There are six places where single Stainless tiles are to be inserted
into the backsplash. We finally got the SS tiles in and they are a
bit thinner than the travertine tiles, so what is the best way to
extend/back/the SS tiles out to be flush with the rest of the tiles?
The tiles will need to come out 3/16" extra from the wall. I can only
think of two options - Glue a thin backer on the tile, then glue to
wall, or Use a lot of adhesive to fill in the area behind the tile.
If I take the mega glue route, should I even bother with a notched
trowel, or just goop it in?

Thanks,
Tom

Don't "goop it" all at once. Apply a scratch coat of mastic 1/8 (?) on
the wall and horizontally notch. Allow to set a bit. Apply mastic to
the final tile; would be my DIY thoughts :) Don't get in a hurry.
--
Oren