Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Black PVC pipe leak?? repair??

The black PVC pipe coming down into the basement from the toilet has a leak.
It is leaking from the joint where that pipe meets with the 90degree pipe
after it. Is there anything sold to mend that typeof joint leak or do I have
to cut it all apart and put in new pipe??

Thanks ,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

You really already knew the answer, didn't you? YOu were hoping
and hoping and hoping. To my knowledge, the only cure is . . . .

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"John W" wrote in message
The black PVC pipe coming down into the basement from the toilet
has a leak. It is leaking from the joint where that pipe meets
with the 90degree pipe after it. Is there anything sold to mend
that typeof joint leak or do I have to cut it all apart and put
in new pipe??

Thanks ,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you can get the leak area clean, you can try diluting some pvc cement
with pvc solvent and running that into the leak area, when that doesn't
work, get the hacksaw out.

a drain pipe shouldn't have much pressure on it. You can mix up some jb
weld and try sweating it into place with a heat gun. (the stuff gets rather
runny with warmed)

"John W" wrote in message
The black PVC pipe coming down into the basement from the toilet has a
leak. It is leaking from the joint where that pipe meets with the 90degree
pipe after it. Is there anything sold to mend that typeof joint leak or do
I have to cut it all apart and put in new pipe??

Thanks ,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If you intend to do this yourself, be sure the pipe is "PVC" and not "ABS"
as they use different solvents

"John W" wrote in message
The black PVC pipe coming down into the basement from the toilet has a
leak. It is leaking from the joint where that pipe meets with the 90degree
pipe after it. Is there anything sold to mend that typeof joint leak or do
I have to cut it all apart and put in new pipe??

Thanks ,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 5, 3:30 pm, "John W" wrote:
The black PVC pipe

snip

ABS pipe AFAIK is usually black, and PVC is usually white. You might
be able to confirm this by checking your local suppliers. this will
help you get the correct adhesive for your system repairs.
One of our local geniuses took a different route for a similar problem
that was caused by hurried workmanship. He dried the joint thoroughly
with a heat gun, sanded well past the affected area on both sides and
wrapped the whole thing with many turns of fiberglass tape soaked in
epoxy resin. So far as I know, it is still functional after maybe
seven years or so. Since this doesn't meet any plumbing code
requirements, of course I couldn't reccommend it snicker.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is that anything like white ABS? I know there's glues that will join
dissimilar plastics, but last time I used it, I got pinholes. I had to go
over the outside with a good glopping of ABS glue, and I won't know if that
worked for a couple of weeks.

Anyone know where I can get some white ABS? ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 16:30:00 -0400, "John W" wrote:

The black PVC pipe coming down into the basement from the toilet has a leak.
It is leaking from the joint where that pipe meets with the 90degree pipe
after it. Is there anything sold to mend that typeof joint leak or do I have
to cut it all apart and put in new pipe??

Thanks ,

John

I've had excellent results using gas tank repair kit at the auto
store. Or the same stuff is sold as bodno Marine Epoxy Stick.

You mix it up good and feel it heating in your hand and then apply
liberally to the clean surface and you have a water tight bond that
will hold for a hundred years.

Pipe leak - what to do? [email protected] UK diy 12 July 23rd 06 01:54 PM
metal pipe air leak tom Metalworking 19 May 18th 06 07:50 PM
Need help with underground pipe leak. Noel Home Repair 1 January 9th 05 04:57 PM
Leak at plastic soil pipe to clay soil pipe join Darren UK diy 2 October 12th 04 10:49 PM
Story & Info: Slab leak pipe repair Melbourne FL Brevard Co Rick Home Repair 0 September 3rd 03 02:18 AM