Posted to alt.home.repair

Default chlorine types & low readings, pH vs. Alkalinity, motor operating cost, backwashing

I have inherited the task of pool maintenance, so I have some questions on
the fundamentals.

With respect to maintaining the chlorine level of the water for a correct
reading on the test strip what is the difference between the liquid chlorine
you buy in the yellow refillable liquid chlorine containers, and oxy shock
(the pale I have now states "chlorine free" on the label, and the
"stabilized chlorine pucks/owder" that gets used everyday? Lately I use a
floating thingy with a large chlorine puck, permanently releasing a small
amount of chlorine. I believe this is the same type of chlorine as the
powered stuff, which we used to do, but we use the pucks now for
convenience? (or is it!?). I am getting a low chlorine level reading every
couple weeks when I do the water test (strip). Should I be using more pucks
in the floating thingy at the same time in the container (like 3, 4, or even
more in the container)? I currently generally use only 1 or 1&1/2. I also
have pH up, pH down, etc. chemicals for when the water test tells me too,
and algecide chemicals for instance for the obvious. clarifyer, stain
remover, stabilizer, condition: in no combination or order. I only need to
know about chlorine, for the low on the strip problem: what chlorine I
should use and when. Should I have slightly low readings every couple weeks,
is that common, or should I fix this; should everyday use be enough Cl. And
how often is a common need for the yellow refillable liquid chlorine
containers, or otherwise oxy shock. I don't know why "chlorine-free oxy". I
currently use the oxy shock infrequently when I'm told to, but I use 2/3 of
a yellow refillable liquid chlorine container every two weeks or so when the
strip reading is quite or slightly low.

In chemistry class I learned a little about "pH", isn't alkalinity and
acidity (pH) just the opposite ends of the same scale. So why are pH & ppm
Total Alkalinity two different variables on the water test strips I use?
ppm Total Bromine and ppm Free Chlorine are the only other two test
variables on the strip. I notice Total Alkalinity is preceeded by ppm, as
are all the other factors except pH.

I have a pool pump and filter, but no heater. How do I determine how much
electricity the pump motor is drawing? When the pool was installed they put
in a seperate circuit breaker under my fuse box. I think this motor is
between 1/2 & 2/3 hp, so say .6hp. I painted it, and there is no sticker on
it anymore. Assuming I can properly identify it (how do I do that), How do
I calculate how much it costs to run (operate) it using W=V*A, then my kW/h
cost from the hydro bill. I don't even know if its 110V or 220V.

Iirc, my filter is a jacuzzi FM pool filter, originally beige. I guess its
called a sand filled type. Nothing special, by eye its about 27"H x
19"Round. The motor/pump was purchased seperately from the filter. The
only positions the lever handle goes into ever is filter or backwash.. I
know little or nothing about ho it works inside. I was told to do a short
backwash after a lot of filtering or vacuuming to clean out the sand,
releasing the trapped particles of dirt, etc? Is this correct, should I
always backwash after vacuuming? What happens inside,; does the water
reverse direction or something; travel top to bottom, or bottom to top?
What is the point of the other settings: winterize, rinse, test, drain, and
whirlpool? We had our vinyl lining replaced and they eliminated the plastic
drain cover with flat continous vinyl at the lowest point in the deep end
after cementing, and disabled/removed whatever else, saying it was a useless
feature after all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ok

"bent" wrote in message
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

ESR readings Mike Electronics Repair 9 December 3rd 06 06:46 PM
Electricity Readings mo UK diy 6 August 27th 06 02:06 PM
Cost/m2 for different types of drive surfaces? Lobster UK diy 3 October 10th 05 03:02 PM
How your 3-ton A/C could only be operating at One Ton udarrell Home Repair 7 May 25th 05 12:02 PM
gas meter readings dave UK diy 7 January 18th 05 12:58 PM