Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

My dryer is a Kenmore model no. 110.96588210. It still works - but it
exhibits the following problem:

After one drying session, I need to wait for it to cool down before I
can restart it again.

This problem is very consistent: If the dryer is sufficiently cool, it
will start and run till completion or till.. it gets too hot and then
stop (before completing the session).

I did notice that starting it is not as easy as it used to be: It
seems that the drum has a hard time rotating (mechanically speaking) -
and the motor sounds some noise of trying to rotate something that is
mechanically stuck. However, if it is cool enough, it will start after
a 2-3 seconds.

I suspected the support rollers, but when I took the dryer apart, they
looked all even (as if they are new). Each of them rotates freely on
its shaft, and when the drum is mounted and rotating I verified that
all of them rotate. So, does that rule out the rollers?

Also, if the rollers are gone, why is it temperature dependent?

I could have bought new rollers and see if they solve the problem, but
it's a $50 expense which I would like to avoid if not necessary. It
could turn out to be the motor (?) or some thermostat... How do I know
which?

I did notice that one of the shafts (the rear right one) is worn
out... could this be the problem? How can I measure the "freedom" of
those support rollers rotation?

Thanks for any tip or idea you can offer!
Sam

P.S. I searched repairclinic.com for possible tips or advice on my
problem, but I couldn't find anything that addresses my particular
case.

http://www.repairclinic.com/0100_16.asp

http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_8_4.asp#Level1_4

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 10:14 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Sounds like one of the overheat sensors is shutting it down. They are
located in the ductwork that's under the drum -- and eventually
channles the hot air outside. If lint has built up around the sensor,
it'll shut down. By the same token, go outside and see if your dryer
vent is clogged. That'll cause the machine to overheat as well.

HTH,
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
om,
"
wrote:

My dryer is a Kenmore model no. 110.96588210. It still works - but it
exhibits the following problem:

After one drying session, I need to wait for it to cool down before I
can restart it again.

This problem is very consistent: If the dryer is sufficiently cool, it
will start and run till completion or till.. it gets too hot and then
stop (before completing the session).

Might be a worn out belt, have you checked that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 3:52 pm, Nick Hull wrote:
In article
om,
"

wrote:
My dryer is a Kenmore model no. 110.96588210. It still works - but it
exhibits the following problem:

After one drying session, I need to wait for it to cool down before I
can restart it again.

This problem is very consistent: If the dryer is sufficiently cool, it
will start and run till completion or till.. it gets too hot and then
stop (before completing the session).

Might be a worn out belt, have you checked that?

Nick, thanks for your reply. Actually the belt is almost new (I
replaced it about 9 months ago), so it is unlikely to be the source of
the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Silence,

Rotate the drum by hand. Is it unusually hard to do? Disconnect the belt
and rotate the drum by hand. Still hard, I'd suspect the rollers are dirty
or worn out. If it rotates easier with the belt off I'd suspect the motor's
bearings or the belt tensioner.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 7:47 pm, "David Martel" wrote:
Silence,

Rotate the drum by hand. Is it unusually hard to do? Disconnect the belt
and rotate the drum by hand. Still hard, I'd suspect the rollers are dirty
or worn out. If it rotates easier with the belt off I'd suspect the motor's
bearings or the belt tensioner.

Dave M.

Dave, thank you very much for your tip! By far, this is the most
meaningful tip I received so far. I couldn't implement it right away,
but I just finished checking what you said and it seems that it helped
my verify that the problem is not with the motor, but rather the
rollers.

The rollers are very clean because I cleaned them recently. Apparently
that was not enough and although I can't visually notice what makes
them need to be replaced, it seems that after 11 years it is
definitely time for them to be replaced.

The interesting thing is: I couldn't notice much difference between
the resistence to rotation with and without the belt. However, without
the belt it was siginificantly easier to rotate the drum to the
OPPOSITE direction of the normal (i.e. the one dictated by the motor
when it's on).

I think that I am going now to order those rollers (unless you say
otherwise).

Thanks!
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 3:09 pm, Mark Sparge wrote:
On Jul 30, 10:14 am, "

wrote:
[...]

Mark, thanks - you are correct, of course, but the overheat sensors
are the symptom, not the cause. They *should* shut the motor down,
considering the amount of resistence it encounters. See my reply to
David Martel.

Thank,
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

A dryer that starts only when cool, and maybe turns off during a cycle
when the motor heats up...and maybe has a deep groaning sound when
starting up...needs a new motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Part number for motor is 279787. If you can't get the blower wheel
off, you'll need to whack it off with a hammer and install a new one.