Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Hooray for Mom&Pop

I'd stopped going to my local ACE Hardware
because the clerks tend to hover and follow you around.

But, when the bracket for a drawer-guide broke,
I decided to give them a shot.

I walked in with glide in hand,
found the nearest "red vest", and said.."I need to fix this"

He didn't even flinch ! Led me to the right rack in the right aisle.
Picked a unit off the hook... "Here's a universal replacement"

PERFECT ! A one-stop solution.
Saved lots of drivng, searching, and frustration.

( they still hover..... )

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RJ" wrote in message
I'd stopped going to my local ACE Hardware
because the clerks tend to hover and follow you around.

But, when the bracket for a drawer-guide broke,
I decided to give them a shot.

I walked in with glide in hand,
found the nearest "red vest", and said.."I need to fix this"

He didn't even flinch ! Led me to the right rack in the right aisle.
Picked a unit off the hook... "Here's a universal replacement"

PERFECT ! A one-stop solution.
Saved lots of drivng, searching, and frustration.

( they still hover..... )

rj

I hope that now you don't see their 'hovering' as threatening but
accomodating. Yea, it can be annoying but all I do is tell them that I'm
thinking and will find them when I need help. They know theri own store,
after all. No flame intended, rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message

I hope that now you don't see their 'hovering' as threatening but
accomodating. Yea, it can be annoying but all I do is tell them that I'm
thinking and will find them when I need help. They know theri own store,
after all. No flame intended, rj

It is a fine line between being there to help, or to make you feel you are
being watched so you don't shoplift.

Some days I like to browse and take my time deciding on the 29¢ blue widget
or the $2 chrome one. Today, I went to Staples and a sales person offered to
help. I knew exactly what I wanted but was not sure where they were. I was
out of the store in two minutes with my items, two of which were on closeout
that he pointed out to me.

He also gave me a good tip. While walking to the front of the store, I
mentioned that I bought five 4 line phones last week, but two had to be
returned as defective. Not a good track record. He suggested buying a
service policy for $10, then I could return any one of the phones in the
next year. That was a good deal.

The phones are in our temporary offices though, and I certainly hope we are
back in a few weeks. This is why we had to move
http://www.telegram.com/article/2007...707220485/1116

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RJ" wrote:
I'd stopped going to my local ACE Hardware
because the clerks tend to hover and follow you around.

Our local ACE hardware affiliate has employees that crack jokes behind your
back when you refuse to interact with them.

I go to Home Depot now, and shop in peace. If I want my hand held I'll ask
for it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Jon Danniken wrote:
"RJ" wrote:
I'd stopped going to my local ACE Hardware
because the clerks tend to hover and follow you around.

Our local ACE hardware affiliate has employees that crack jokes
behind your back when you refuse to interact with them.

I go to Home Depot now, and shop in peace. If I want my hand held
I'll ask for it.

Jon

Around here I go to Ace if I need help. HD is cheaper but the help is
clueless.

Hooray! I'm eventually getting somewhere! [email protected] Woodworking 10 October 29th 06 10:20 PM
Hooray! [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 28th 06 05:42 AM
HooRay at last some choice. John B Woodworking 1 October 6th 05 02:20 AM