Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mortar bed under bathtub dry time

I'm installing a Sterling Plumbing Vikrell tub and surround. The
instructions mention putting an *optional* mortar bed under the tub.
At first I wasn't going to do this, but after having the tub set in
somewhat temporarily, I have changed my mind.

The tub came with a small sheet of landscaping fabric / felt fabric to
put between the subfloor and tub to prevent squeaks etc, but i still
hear an occasional noise. So, before I put the tub in permanently, i
think i'm going to put in the mortar bed.

This our only full bath. How long do we need to stay out of the tub
until the motar is set well enough to stand someone bathing in the
tub? I'd like to have an idea of how long we might have to shower at
relatives houses until ours is usable again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 7:46 pm, spam disintegrator
wrote:
I'm installing a Sterling Plumbing Vikrell tub and surround. The
instructions mention putting an *optional* mortar bed under the tub.
At first I wasn't going to do this, but after having the tub set in
somewhat temporarily, I have changed my mind.

The tub came with a small sheet of landscaping fabric / felt fabric to
put between the subfloor and tub to prevent squeaks etc, but i still
hear an occasional noise. So, before I put the tub in permanently, i
think i'm going to put in the mortar bed.

This our only full bath. How long do we need to stay out of the tub
until the motar is set well enough to stand someone bathing in the
tub? I'd like to have an idea of how long we might have to shower at
relatives houses until ours is usable again.

I see plumbers using wetting type drywall mud. You could get yourself
a bag of durabond 20 minute and be taking showers in an hour. Even
mortar mix should be good to go in 12 hours or so, depending on the
temp/humidity etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another question I have is by how much the motar bed may raise the tub
off the floor. I roughed in the plumbing already, and I roughed in
the drain pipe based on the tub sitting on the subfloor. Because of
limited access, the drain was not fun to do. Therefore, i don't want
to end up re-plumbing the drain if the tub will be raised up off the
floor some from the motar bed.

As to the use of drywall mud, instructions specifically say NOT to use
drywall mud:

"IMPORTANT! Mortar cement is required to level an uneven subfloor. Do
not use
plaster, gypsum cement, or drywall compound for this application, as
these materials
do not provide adequate structural support. Spread a layer of mortar
cement on the subfloor where the bath supports will be
located."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:42:10 -0700, spam disintegrator
wrote:

Another question I have is by how much the motar bed may raise the tub
off the floor. I roughed in the plumbing already, and I roughed in
the drain pipe based on the tub sitting on the subfloor. Because of
limited access, the drain was not fun to do. Therefore, i don't want
to end up re-plumbing the drain if the tub will be raised up off the
floor some from the motar bed.

As to the use of drywall mud, instructions specifically say NOT to use
drywall mud:

"IMPORTANT! Mortar cement is required to level an uneven subfloor. Do
not use
plaster, gypsum cement, or drywall compound for this application, as
these materials
do not provide adequate structural support. Spread a layer of mortar
cement on the subfloor where the bath supports will be
located."

Fill the tub with water, and use expanding foam for support between
the tub and sub floor. Let is sit this way until the foam has cured. I
used this approach a few years ago with no current problem. But, I
don't know what your "bath supports" are.

--
Oren