Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing deep well with a deeper well

I'm thinking about having a new well drilled to replace my old muddy
well. The old one is 6" drilled with the pump at 70'. I think the
casing is cracked or something. It's almost 40 years old. Any way,
I'm tired of fighting it.

Driller says they'll put in a new one for about $2500, 275' deep, PVC
cased to 100' with 50' grout. Sounds like a good deal and the company
is well known in the area.

Questions:

1. I set the pump in the old well by myself. How much harder is it
going to be to set a pump that much deeper? The pump, 70' of plastic
pipe, and T handle was damn heavy, but manageable. When I've fed 250+
feet of pipe down the new hole, am I going to be in big trouble trying
to hold on?

2. Is 1" poly pipe and a normal pitless adapter suitable for the
load? Will PVC casing hold the pitless adapter?

3. The pump in the old well is almost new. Can I reuse it? No idea
what size it is. What's the norm for a well that deep? The head will
probably be about 75' away and 20' uphill from the house.

4. Is there a legal way to splice wire underground? The pipe and
wire to the house are new and I'd like to reuse them as much as
possible. It runs under a concrete patio.

Thanks!