DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Splitting ledge (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/208098-splitting-ledge.html)

yourname July 24th 07 04:06 PM

Splitting ledge

wondering if there any knowledge hearabouts regarding splitting granite
ledge. I have a spot I would like to put a hallway to a future spare
room. about 4-6 feet long it is only about 6 foot high. Ledge is solid
dropping right to left, but nearly level in this spot. I have a mid size
Bosch rotary hammer and am not averse to renting a bigger one if I need
to. I am not in a great big hurry, and since it is under the house,
blasting is not what I am going to do. Anyone done much of this? Any hints?

Clark[_3_] July 25th 07 12:01 AM

Splitting ledge

"yourname" wrote in message
wondering if there any knowledge hearabouts regarding splitting granite
ledge. I have a spot I would like to put a hallway to a future spare room.
about 4-6 feet long it is only about 6 foot high. Ledge is solid dropping
right to left, but nearly level in this spot. I have a mid size Bosch
rotary hammer and am not averse to renting a bigger one if I need to. I am
not in a great big hurry, and since it is under the house, blasting is not
what I am going to do. Anyone done much of this? Any hints?

My neighbor is in sort of the same situation, but he's putting in a
driveway.
I can tell you what he's doing (he's a contractor)

He's using a gas powered mason circular saw
and then he is using a jackhammer
I think he is cutting grooves then jack hammering between them
the pile of ruble looks like mid size flat pieces

Clark

marson July 25th 07 02:14 AM

Splitting ledge

On Jul 24, 6:01 pm, "Clark" wrote:
"yourname" wrote in message

[...]

I know a guy who "dug" a hole in bedrock by heating the rock up with a
weekburner torch until it split and then repeating. Might not want to
do it under a house.