DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   crown molding on full overlay kitchen wall cabinets (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/208015-crown-molding-full-overlay-kitchen-wall-cabinets.html)

Mikepier July 23rd 07 09:46 PM

crown molding on full overlay kitchen wall cabinets

I looked at full overlay kitchen cabinets ( no frame exposed) and
wanted to get this for my kitchen remodel. If I am installing the wall
cabinets to the ceiling how do you install the crown molding if there
is no frame exposed? I am assuming the cabinet would have to get
mounted a few inches below the ceiling, but is there a method of doing
this on full overlay cabinets?

Mikepier July 23rd 07 11:41 PM

On Jul 23, 5:13 pm, dpb wrote:
willshak wrote:
on 7/23/2007 4:46 PM Mikepier said the following:
I looked at full overlay kitchen cabinets ( no frame exposed) and
wanted to get this for my kitchen remodel. If I am installing the wall
cabinets to the ceiling how do you install the crown molding if there
is no frame exposed? I am assuming the cabinet would have to get
mounted a few inches below the ceiling, but is there a method of doing
this on full overlay cabinets?

Drop the cabinets.

Yes

...Install a nailing strip along the top of the
cabinets, either by gluing with a strong glue or with screws up through
the top of the cabinets.

Yes. Or by mounting it to the ceiling in line before hanging the
cabinets. (My preferred method).

--

Thanks for the inputs.
Just out of curiosity, I was thinking since the cabinet doors cover

dpb July 23rd 07 11:44 PM

Mikepier wrote:
On Jul 23, 5:13 pm, dpb wrote:
willshak wrote:
[...]

I've not seen many mounted clear to the ceiling w/o at least a narrow
soffit or trim but there's nothing that says you have to use a crown if
the look fits...

Chris Friesen July 23rd 07 11:45 PM

Mikepier wrote:

Just out of curiosity, I was thinking since the cabinet doors cover
the whole frame, I would not put molding at all. The door itself
would pretty much hide where the cabinet meets the ceiling. I saw this
in a neighbors house and it looked pretty good. Anyone else not use
molding at all on full overlay cabinets?

This might work if your ceiling is perfectly level and perfectly
straight. Since most are not, the molding (or some other extra trim
piece) is usually scribed to fit the ceiling and serves to hide the
irregularities.

Chris