DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kenmore/Frigidaire washer bearing replacement (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/207955-kenmore-frigidaire-washer-bearing-replacement.html)

Percival P. Cassidy July 23rd 07 11:15 AM

Kenmore/Frigidaire washer bearing replacement

Our Kenmore (made by Frigidaire) front-loading washer (417.41142000) is
now very noisy while spinning, and I suspect that the bearing is
crapping out -- and, no, we have never used non-HE detergent in it.

The bearing is available from Sears or the other appliance parts vendors
only as part of a whole shell-and-bearing assembly costing $150 or more
(plus expensive shipping because of its size).

Questions:

1. Is a suitable bearing in fact available from, e.g., an engineering
supplies vendor?

2. Is replacing the bearing (and, if push comes to shove, the whole
shell-and-bearing assembly) all that is needed? Or is it probably
necessary to replace the tub as well (about the same price again)
because the shaft will have suffered damage too?

Perce

[email protected] July 23rd 07 03:33 PM

Kenmore/Frigidaire washer bearing replacement

I had the same problem with my washer (same model). I wound up
replacing the complete drum assembly for a couple of hundred dollars,
and it's as good as new. I
was able to get a new complete drum assembly for about $150, and
simply swap it. Other people have reported being able to simply
replace the bearings for about $50 or so, plus 2-3 hours of work.

More information he http://applianceguru.com/forum2/834.html
including a link to the bearing part and seal.

Good luck!

Percival P. Cassidy July 23rd 07 04:10 PM

Kenmore/Frigidaire washer bearing replacement

When did you do this? AFAICS from the messages on that forum, the price
has shot up over the past few months.

Perce

[email protected] July 23rd 07 06:50 PM

Kenmore/Frigidaire washer bearing replacement

I did it last summer, and from what I recall, the complete drum
assembly was always cheaper here in Canada.

The second posting in the thread has a link to a bearing and seal set
for a bit less than $50.

Instructions are available at http://fixitnow.com/documents/pegido...rBearingV6.pdf,
and it also has the bearings and seal parts that you could probably
order from a bearing shop in your area (check your yellow pages).

Rob