DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Installing vynil siding over existing cedar plank siding. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/206692-installing-vynil-siding-over-existing-cedar-plank-siding.html)

TheRegit July 16th 07 11:10 PM

Installing vynil siding over existing cedar plank siding.

I have a question about the installation of vynil siding over cedar
plank siding. I am going to be doing the siding myself and wanted to
know if it would be easier to mount a thinner plywood over the
existing siding to create a smooth surface, or if I should fill the
gaps with a furring strip?

Any suggestions.

Dan Espen July 17th 07 02:13 AM

TheRegit writes:

I have a question about the installation of vynil siding over cedar
plank siding. I am going to be doing the siding myself and wanted to
know if it would be easier to mount a thinner plywood over the
existing siding to create a smooth surface, or if I should fill the
gaps with a furring strip?

When they did my house they used 4x8 foot foam sheets about 1/2 inch
thick.