Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to use B&D screw extractor set?

On Jul 15, 12:13 am, tenplay wrote:
I am trying to take off the hardware off some kitchen cabinets. One of
the screws is very difficult to extract, and I stripped the head of the
screw. I bought a Black & Decker Screw Extractor Set, which is used
with any power drill. When I opened the case, I couldn't find any
directions inside. Can anyone give me instructions on how to use these
screw extractors to take out the stripped out screw? Thanks.

search the group for

screw extractor

there are recent threads on the issue

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 3:13 am, tenplay wrote:
I am trying to take off the hardware off some kitchen cabinets. One of
the screws is very difficult to extract, and I stripped the head of the
screw. I bought a Black & Decker Screw Extractor Set, which is used
with any power drill. When I opened the case, I couldn't find any
directions inside. Can anyone give me instructions on how to use these
screw extractors to take out the stripped out screw? Thanks.

Interesting to me because I just sent a gun back to the factory to
have a broken screw in the barrel removed - something I would not try
because mess-up could be costly.
This was my first Google: http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/extractr.html
Guess guide hole is needed. Seems to me that use of extractor in
drill might be iffy. This is job you don't do very often and doing by
hand probably safer.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Generally pretty simple, but be patient and take your time.

Center punch a dimple in the middle of the screw. Being in the middle
is important!

Drill a hole in the screw that is big enough to let the screw
extractor enter, but not big enough to damage the threads in the hole
where the screw is.

The screw extractors I have used a tap wrench to turn them. Insert the
proper size screw extractor in the tap wrench and tighten the wrench
well.

Lightly tap the extractor/wrench into the hole you have drilled.

This is a LEFT-HAND device, so turn GENTLY counter-clockwise. DO NOT
USE POWER TOOLS!

It also often helps to have put some penetrating oil on the screw.

If all fails, drill out the screw and tap to the next larger size.

There are also left-handed drill bits that are good for this,
according to a friend who does a lot of work on outboard motors, which
have zinc and aluminum castings, which corrode badly around the ocean.

Screw Extractor - how to? miamicuse Home Repair 21 July 4th 07 06:23 PM
Genie Garage Door Opener screw drive - Screw coming apart timwilson Home Repair 3 June 24th 07 03:53 AM
email extractor , site , solutions , email based marketing , email marketing solution , email extractor , newsletter software , mass email , e-mail marketing , email marketing solutions , bulk email software , web advertising , email marketing , mark Nuclear Incorporation. www.nuclear-inc.com UK diy 0 April 5th 07 09:31 PM
Extractor fan Rick UK diy 0 January 29th 06 11:21 PM
Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip George Sohnle Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 06:36 PM