DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plumbing question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/206511-plumbing-question.html)

dean July 15th 07 04:59 AM

Plumbing question

Hard to articulate a subject heading, but here goes: If I have to cut
off a PVC pipe - imagine two female 45 degree bends joined by a short
piece of pipe that's around 2" long and fully within the two female
sockets (none visible). I can cut through the middle, and the size is
now the OD of the female end. Can I now join this to a new PVC pipe?

I have no room to get to a regular piece of straight pipe without
ripping it all out of the floor.

Thanks for any tips.

Dean

DerbyDad03 July 15th 07 05:40 AM

Plumbing question

On Jul 14, 11:59 pm, dean wrote:
Hard to articulate a subject heading, but here goes: If I have to cut
off a PVC pipe - imagine two female 45 degree bends joined by a short
piece of pipe that's around 2" long and fully within the two female
sockets (none visible). I can cut through the middle, and the size is
now the OD of the female end. Can I now join this to a new PVC pipe?

I have no room to get to a regular piece of straight pipe without
ripping it all out of the floor.

Thanks for any tips.

Dean

Is this for a drain?

You might be able to use a Fernco coupling, if you can get one with
the correct ID. While you at the plumbing supply house buying your 4"
male adaptor to extend the cleanout, ask them if they have a Fernco
coupling that will work for your application.

http://www.fernco.com/coupling.asp

dean July 15th 07 07:00 AM

Plumbing question

On Jul 15, 12:40 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 14, 11:59 pm, dean wrote:

Hard to articulate a subject heading, but here goes: If I have to cut
off a PVC pipe - imagine two female 45 degree bends joined by a short
piece of pipe that's around 2" long and fully within the two female
sockets (none visible). I can cut through the middle, and the size is
now the OD of the female end. Can I now join this to a new PVC pipe?

I have no room to get to a regular piece of straight pipe without
ripping it all out of the floor.

Thanks for any tips.

Dean

Is this for a drain?

You might be able to use a Fernco coupling, if you can get one with
the correct ID. While you at the plumbing supply house buying your 4"
male adaptor to extend the cleanout, ask them if they have a Fernco
coupling that will work for your application.

http://www.fernco.com/coupling.asp

Yes, for a gray-water drain system. I'll check at the store. Thanks
for the info.

Dean

DAC July 15th 07 01:55 PM

Plumbing question

On Jul 14, 11:59 pm, dean wrote:

[...]

Another option is something like this http://www.plumbingsupply.com/
pvcsaver.html look towards the bottom of the page. I've only seen
these at the supply houses and online. The Fernco would be much
easier tho...