Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help diagnose Motion Detector light problem

I have a motion detector light outside of my garage that was previously installed by my electrician.
Here is the way it worked. I had a wall switch connected inside the garage. When the wall switch was
in the down position (off), the motion detector would go on at night, when movement occurred outside
and then it would turn off after a few minutes.

However, if the wall switch was up (in the on position), then the light on the motion detector would
stay on all night and go off in the morning.

Recently, the light on the motion detector would stay on all night and stay on all also during the
day and never go off.

So I bought a new motion detector and replaced the existing one.

However, when I bought the new motion detector, the same problem occurs. The light stays on during
the day, so that means there was probably nothing wrong with the physical motion detector, and I
thought possiblye there is a problem with the wall switch or some wiring.

When I swapped out the new motion detector I notice that there were 3 wires on the motion detector
(white, red and black). I notice that the wires coming out of the garage outside where the motion
detector was placed has wires (white, black and red).

I was told from home depot, that the black on the motion detector is my ground. So I grounded that
wire. I then connected the 2 whites together and connected the motion detector white and red to the
wall white and red and also connected the black wall wire to the red wires.

So where do you think the problem is occurring and how do I fix this?

If it's the wall switch, what do I do. Do you I just by a new one?

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jul 14, 8:21 pm, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:
[...]

If it is a "regular" motion detector, the light comes on and stays on
if you turn the switch on, turn it off, and the turn it on again in
rapid succession. This allow you to keep it on if you need it on. Go
shut the light off at the breaker, wait 5 minutes, then turn it back
on and see if it resets itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Why did you need instructions from HD? Where there no instructions with
the detector?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It sounds like the switch toggled between a photocell controlling the lights
or the motion detector controlling the lights. Whatever device was
controlling the lights when they stayed in the on position went bad. The
black wire of a motion detector is not a ground, it gets connected to the
feed hot wire, so you clearly wired it incorrectly. At this point you should
probably call back the electrician to diagnose and repair the problem

"Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds like the switch toggled between a photocell controlling the lights
or the motion detector controlling the lights. Whatever device was
controlling the lights when they stayed in the on position went bad. The
black wire of a motion detector is not a ground, it gets connected to the
feed hot wire, so you clearly wired it incorrectly. At this point you should
probably call back the electrician to diagnose and repair the problem

Guys,

I shut the circuit breaker off for 30 minutes. When I turned it on, the motion sensor light stayed
on. As you said, there is something wrong.

I was hoping that a forum member could tell me the correct wiring of what color wires goes where
to get the motion detector to behave the way it was working as. Also, to tell me, where to look for
the problem.

Here is the summary, of how the motion detector used to work and the way, I want it to work...

1) When the wall switch is in the down position, the lights are triggered when motion occurs and
shuts off a few minutes later.

2) When the wall switch is in the up position, the lights stay on all the time at night.

********* begin *******

Can someone explain how a wall switch affects how a motion sensor is working to produce the above
way, I want it wired and the way it used to work?

********* end *********

So based on this, how do you think the wires should be "wired" and also where do you think the
problem is occurring.

I am trying not to use an electrician, if I just knew what to change or replace. Since I already
swapped out the old motion detector for the new one, I know that the problem is not a faulty motion
detector. The problem is something else.

So you mentioned that the black from the motion detector is not a ground. If I put this on to the
other black wires, should this fix the problem of that the lights always stay on and the motion is
being bypassed?

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

First is that wall switch a single through single pole, in other words
is it a simple on off switch or something else and if else what else?

So based on this, how do you think the wires should be "wired" and
also where do you think the problem is occurring.

I am trying not to use an electrician, if I just knew what to change
or replace. Since I already swapped out the old motion detector for
the new one, I know that the problem is not a faulty motion detector.
The problem is something else.

So you mentioned that the black from the motion detector is not a
ground. If I put this on to the other black wires, should this fix
the problem of that the lights always stay on and the motion is being
bypassed?

Not all motion detectors are created equal. The work in different ways
and I suspect yours is not a simple motion detector and it has a computer
controlled system to change modes based on the switch, motion, and or light
detection.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

OK, based on your description, this is what you should have: In the junction
box where the motion detector resides, assuming the floodlights are at the
same location, there should be three wires entering the box, probably red,
white, and black. There should be three wires on the motion detector, also
red, white, and black. There should be two wires going to the floodlights,
white and black. Somewhere in the circuit is a photocell,which is a device
that keeps the lights on from dusk to dawn. Not knowing where in the circuit
it is located, I'm going to assume it is somewhere before the above
described junction box. In the junction box connect all white wires together
under a wire nut. Connect the black wire from the switch to the black wire
of the motion detector under a wire nut. Connect the red wire from the
switch to the red wire of the motion detector and the black wires going to
the flood lights under a wire nut. Connect any ground wires together and to
the box. This is of course assuming one wiring scenario. It would be much
better if you describe exactly the wires you see at the junction box
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:21:04 GMT, "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC"
wrote:

[...]

Typically:
A black or red (switched) wire is hot.
A white wire is neutral.
Green wire is ground.

Your wall switch, when wired to a regular lamp, should work as
expected: Switch in the up position: lamp on, Switch in the down
position: lamp off. If that is not the case your switch or wiring is
faulty.

Otherwise, your security lamp is improperly wired. The enclosed
pamphlet should provide a wiring diagram on how to connect the sensor,
lamps, and load wires. Your load wires are the hot and neutral, and
possibly a ground. Connect all ground wires together--these are green
or bare copper wires. Connect the box and/or lamp base to the ground
if these are metal.

You may need to "flash" the unit ON/OFF/ON to get it to set properly
(read the manual). You should be able to use the lamp normally by
just flipping the switch ON.

Safety: Whenever removing a cover plate to an electrical box
double-check the circuit is OFF, and ensure that nobody may turn on
the circuit! I know two people who died.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM,

Thank you for your clear description. I am going to look at your specific directions and see how it
goes. If I still have a problem, I will describe in more details the layout of the wires. However,
your definition and directions seem easy to follow.

Thank you.

- Larry

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

[...]
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

What did the manual, the actual instructions from the manufacturer say
about the installation of the new motion detector?

Not the drone from the Borg, but the actual install instructions from
the manufacturer.

So where do you think the problem is occurring and how do I fix this?

If it's the wall switch, what do I do. Do you I just by a new one?

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

What did the manual, the actual instructions from the manufacturer say
about the installation of the new motion detector?

Not trying to be stupid, but I did not follow this. Since the electrician setup the wiring, the way
I wanted it, I figured that the motion detector could possibly have went bad. I had asked Home Depot
guy for a question on wiring and you guys told me he was wrong.

What I tried to do, was to just swap out the old motion detector for the new one and reconnect the
wiring that way. I was surprised that I got the same results from the old one. However, this seems
to indicate there may be no problem with the motion detector but somewhere else. Maybe it's a wiring
problem or some other problem related to the light turn on/off switch or the receptacle from where
the motion detector / light fixtures are connecting to the outside wall.

That's why I was trying to understand the way the electrician set this up. I think, my setup, is not
standard. Meaning, I did ask the electrician to change it so that the down "on/off switch" makes the
motion detector go on after being tripped and then shut off. The up "on/off switch" keeps the light
on all night. So I figured (that a standard way the motion detector directions are written are not
what is done for my layout.

I did confirm this, because when I glanced at the instructions, they obviously, did not mention my
setup.

So the answer is I did not try to follow the written instructions because of my layout is not
standard on what was working and what is how the setup is.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM,

You gave me very clear directions on how to wire my motion detector. Your directions were "right on
target". They were awesome.

Sorry did not get back to you sooner. I used my kids as helpers, so that they could hold the fixture
while I was hooking it up. It went a lot smoother when I was able to concentrate on your directions.

Worked like a charm.

Thank you, Thank you , Thank you...

I am one "happy puppy".

- Larry