DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tiling over old floor tiles (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/206421-re-tiling-over-old-floor-tiles.html)

DerbyDad03 July 14th 07 04:31 AM

Tiling over old floor tiles

On Jul 13, 11:10 pm,
borked*Remove*All*0f*This*I*Hate*Spamme...@invalid .gmail.com (mare)
wrote:
I'm planning about renovating our bathroom (master bath in US terms).

Is it a Really Bad Idea (tm) to consider putting new floortile over the
old tiles. The increase of height is not a problem since the current
tile is actually lower than the hallway's hardwood floor. The current
tile is flat, not cracked and seems stable to me. Removing it means a
day of hard labour, a lot of extra bags that need to be brought to an
ecological dump site, and generally more work to level the floor again
with cement/thin set.

--
mare

Have we Googled "tiling over tile"? For the most part it appears to
be OK as long as you are sure the old tile is sound.

Layout seems to matter also - no new joints over old joints:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/tileovertile.htm

And there are cleaning instructions, special adhesives and mechanical
abrading to consider:

http://www.tileusa.com/tileovertile2_faq.htm