DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   lawn mower magneto (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/206398-lawn-mower-magneto.html)

raindeeer July 14th 07 12:33 AM

lawn mower magneto

how do i set the magneto spark gap on a 4hp push mower, is ther a sertain
gap or do i just push it up to the magneto magnet

Oren July 14th 07 12:47 AM

lawn mower magneto

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:33:26 -0500, "raindeeer"
wrote:

how do i set the magneto spark gap on a 4hp push mower, is ther a sertain
gap or do i just push it up to the magneto magnet

Some folks say to use a match book cover... about 0.25.

I don't know the real answer, but you do need a gap and this gap will
affect performance.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

Oren July 14th 07 01:20 AM

lawn mower magneto

wrote:

how do i set the magneto spark gap on a 4hp push mower, is ther a sertain
gap or do i just push it up to the magneto magnet

Some folks say to use a match book cover... about 0.25.

I don't know the real answer, but you do need a gap and this gap will
affect performance.

BTW, while you can; lightly sand the magnets in the flywheel and also
the magneto contacts. Just shine them up a bit. Nothing serious...

mm July 14th 07 03:47 AM

lawn mower magneto

wrote:

how do i set the magneto spark gap on a 4hp push mower, is ther a sertain
gap or do i just push it up to the magneto magnet

You don't want the parts to scrape.

What oren said.

But it's not a spark gap. There's a gap or space, and it's at the
magneto, and it is part of causing the spark, but the spark gap is at
the spark plug.

Eric9822 July 14th 07 05:26 AM

lawn mower magneto

On Jul 13, 3:33 pm, "raindeeer"
wrote:
how do i set the magneto spark gap on a 4hp push mower, is ther a sertain
gap or do i just push it up to the magneto magnet

I agree with Al. I worked in a small engine shop many years ago and
one of the old timers had us use a business card to set the
clearance. It was pretty close to the correct gap and a lot easier to
use then a feeler gauge.