Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathtub, surround quandry...acrylic, fiberglass, Swanstone, Veritek, etc.etc.etc.

I am ripping out a one piece tub and replacing it with a new tub and
surround. I'm on a tight budget but still want decent quality. The
more I look the more options I have...three and five piece surrounds,
acrylic, high-gloss something or others, Swanstone, Veritek, who
knows. I believe right now my tub is attached to the studs. The
bottom is cracking up because it was installed without any support
beneath it, and it's a horrid beige anyway. Through the years I have
been able to scrub it with anything, and the surface looks fine, so
I'd like to get something somewhat scrubable...not some sissy finish
that needs to be handled with chamois cloth and waxed and polished,
and ends up ruined when Grandma comes to visit, does me a favor and
scrubs it with Comet. I can't make up my mind...any stories out there
to help me?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 4:53 pm, wrote:
I am ripping out a one piece tub and replacing it with a new tub and
surround. I'm on a tight budget but still want decent quality. The
more I look the more options I have...three and five piece surrounds,
acrylic, high-gloss something or others, Swanstone, Veritek, who
knows. I believe right now my tub is attached to the studs. The
bottom is cracking up because it was installed without any support
beneath it, and it's a horrid beige anyway. Through the years I have
been able to scrub it with anything, and the surface looks fine, so
I'd like to get something somewhat scrubable...not some sissy finish
that needs to be handled with chamois cloth and waxed and polished,
and ends up ruined when Grandma comes to visit, does me a favor and
scrubs it with Comet. I can't make up my mind...any stories out there
to help me?

Do you want a professional opinion?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 12, 3:53 pm, wrote:
I am ripping out a one piece tub and replacing it with a new tub and
surround. I'm on a tight budget but still want decent quality. The
more I look the more options I have...three and five piece surrounds,
acrylic, high-gloss something or others, Swanstone, Veritek, who
knows. I believe right now my tub is attached to the studs. The
bottom is cracking up because it was installed without any support
beneath it, and it's a horrid beige anyway. Through the years I have
been able to scrub it with anything, and the surface looks fine, so
I'd like to get something somewhat scrubable...not some sissy finish
that needs to be handled with chamois cloth and waxed and polished,
and ends up ruined when Grandma comes to visit, does me a favor and
scrubs it with Comet. I can't make up my mind...any stories out there
to help me?

Our house has had a Kohler K 1571 shower/tub module for over a decade.
Comes in two pieces that come apart to let you get it in the door and
assemble on site. Identical to their one piece modules. IMO, best way
to go, no fuss with erxtra surround panels. Sits flat on the floor, no
reinforcemnt needed. Must be nailed to studs like any one-piece, but
that just makes the overlapping drywall job that much easier. Has a
rock hard gel coat over thick fiberglass, which in our case has
survived the impact of teen-agers very well. The price was higher than
many we looked at then, but considering the peformance and durability
as $ per year, it was a bargain. I'd do the same thing again in a
heartbeat if I had to do another bathroom upgrade.
HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I don't have a plastic tub in my current house but comet was actually
recommended for my last one. It is not as abrasive as it used to be.

ps.com...