DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Simple DYI ? on single pole light switch (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/206242-simple-dyi-single-pole-light-switch.html)

Jim Tinder July 12th 07 06:32 PM

Simple DYI ? on single pole light switch

I have a dual switch box with two single pole switches controlling two different lights in two different areas in a room. With the single supply, what is the wiring diagram to connect the single source to two switches. (e.g. wirenut two short black wires to the supply and then connect the two short pieces to the "off" terminals on the two switches, connect the black light fixture wires to the respective "on" terminals on the switches, and wirenut all three white wires together.)

Thanks
Jim Tinder

Jeff Wisnia July 12th 07 11:03 PM

Jim Tinder wrote:

I have a dual switch box with two single pole switches controlling two
different lights in two different areas in a room. With the single
supply, what is the wiring diagram to connect the single source to two
switches. (e.g. wirenut two short black wires to the supply and then
connect the two short pieces to the "off" terminals on the two
switches, connect the black light fixture wires to the respective "on"
terminals on the switches, and wirenut all three white wires
together.)

Thanks
Jim Tinder

Seems to me like you've got it dead on the money.

Though I haven't heard the two terminals on single pole switches
referred to as "off" and "on" very often. AFAIK they're interchangeable,
but somone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

mm July 13th 07 12:55 AM

Simple DYI ? on single pole light switch

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:03:52 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Though I haven't heard the two terminals on single pole switches
referred to as "off" and "on" very often. AFAIK they're interchangeable,
but somone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I have a NO and FFO switch, but I'm not sure about the terminals.

Smitty Two July 13th 07 01:18 PM

Simple DYI ? on single pole light switch

In article ,
Jim Tinder wrote:

I have a dual switch box with two single pole switches controlling two
different lights in two different areas in a room. With the single
supply, what is the wiring diagram to connect the single source to two
switches. (e.g. wirenut two short black wires to the supply and then
connect the two short pieces to the "off" terminals on the two
switches, connect the black light fixture wires to the respective "on"
terminals on the switches, and wirenut all three white wires
together.)

Thanks
Jim Tinder

I still say connect the supply to one switch and run a jumper from that
switch to the second switch.

Noozer July 13th 07 01:29 PM

Simple DYI ? on single pole light switch

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Tinder wrote:

I have a dual switch box with two single pole switches controlling two
different lights in two different areas in a room. With the single
supply, what is the wiring diagram to connect the single source to two
switches. (e.g. wirenut two short black wires to the supply and then
connect the two short pieces to the "off" terminals on the two
switches, connect the black light fixture wires to the respective "on"
terminals on the switches, and wirenut all three white wires
together.)

Thanks
Jim Tinder

I still say connect the supply to one switch and run a jumper from that
switch to the second switch.

Only if that does not involve putting TWO wires under ONE screw terminal.

Jeff Wisnia July 13th 07 03:56 PM

Simple DYI ? on single pole light switch

Noozer wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

In article ,
Jim Tinder wrote:

I have a dual switch box with two single pole switches controlling two
different lights in two different areas in a room. With the single
supply, what is the wiring diagram to connect the single source to two
switches. (e.g. wirenut two short black wires to the supply and then
connect the two short pieces to the "off" terminals on the two
switches, connect the black light fixture wires to the respective "on"
terminals on the switches, and wirenut all three white wires
together.)

Thanks
Jim Tinder

I still say connect the supply to one switch and run a jumper from that
switch to the second switch.

Only if that does not involve putting TWO wires under ONE screw terminal.

With care, you can remove about 3/4" of unsulation from the wire back
the appropriate distance from the free end, make an omega shaped bend in
the stripped part and secure that under a terminal screwhead on the
first switch.

But I'm not a code mavin, so don't take my word for that method meeting
spec.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia