Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Stained Crown Molding problem

wrote:
In a remodel, we had our contractor install dark stained crown
molding. They stained it first, then they nailed it in, then they
filled in the nail holes and touched them up. However, the touch-up
isn't perfect as it exposes where each of the nails were and when you
look at it from an angle you can see everything.

Our contractor says that this is normal. Shouldn't they restain the
entire molding after filling in the nail holes. I guess I'm asking if
I'm being too picky. I know that with painted crown molding, it is
seamless, but I guess that is also because paint is more easily
touched up.

"Too picky" depends on just how badly it mismatches -- could be and
could be they just didn't do a very good job.

It's a time-consuming job to do well and most don't want to take the time.

If done well, they can get a near perfect match and minimize the gloss
difference as well.

If what you're seeing are actual "dimples" and not coloring differences,
I think they should go back and refill and do a better job of
establishing the profile, definitely. If it's a color problem as well,
then it depends in part on what they used. If just an "off-the-shelf"
wax pencil, you'll probably have a hard time convincing them to do
"more-better" as that is indicative that they're not the level of
craftsman that may have much more than that in their repertoire...

The good news (if any) in the story is that if you really want to, you
can fix this yourself at your leisure other than the access...